This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE1, allow form fail or not

Started by Tomas Johansson, October 1, 2013 · 8 Replies · 284 Views

Tomas Johansson

I am doing a modified version of the SL/PE1. Arms towards my feet but trying to keep the shoulders retracted. Knees bent to 90 degrees. With this form I can do a reasonable 5*36s.

 

I now try to do 4*48s and towards the end of most of the sets I start to loose form, mostly by the legs coming down. There is really nothing I can do about it, it's like I loose control over them.

 

Question, should I keep doing 4*48s (i finish the sets but with poor form) or should I stop when I loose form? I still feel that it will get me stronger or am I wrong?

Joshua Slocum

No grinding reps. Stop when form or tempo fails. 

Jon Douglas

This^, with one caveat. SL PE1 puts you in a relatively safe position. As long as you can physically handle it, go until either the clock tells you or your form *genuinely* fails. Discomfort, cramps? That's not failure :)

Tomas Johansson

Thanks guys!

Bipocni

Given that your hands are down by your waist, your form has already failed.  So I'd say go for it.

Tomas Johansson

No Bipocni, I would not consider that a form fail. It's a progression with it's own form. It's just not included in the program and I'm not strong enough to gain from even the easiest progression in the program.

Keilani Gutierrez
Tomas Johansson said:

No Bipocni, I would not consider that a form fail. It's a progression with it's own form. It's just not included in the program and I'm not strong enough to gain from even the easiest progression in the program.

today I got checked out and feel awesome, out of all places, in the lower back. maybe you can visit your chiropractor to give you adjustments (I noticed that with the people who've attended me, the guys who I went to the diagrams and said "I feel this around this area" will get right down to it and talk to you more pertaining to your condition, that's what i've done to steer away from the "i'm gonna give you a generalized tune up" treatment, though you must also let them do their job and check for other spots where there is pressure being placed on nerves)

 

that can also be something you can do ^_^

 

I'm letting you know because what I thought was not so much sitting down during the day turned out to be the opposite :)

Bipocni
Tomas Johansson said:

No Bipocni, I would not consider that a form fail. It's a progression with it's own form. It's just not included in the program and I'm not strong enough to gain from even the easiest progression in the program.

You're absolutely right, and I'm sorry.  My behaviour on this forum lately has been unexcuseable, giving out bad advice, false information or just being insulting when it wasn't called for.  Sorry if I offended you.

 

In regards to the arms down version: how does it compare to a straddle arch?  I can imagine both would be a good way to regress the exercise to a more manageable level.

FredInChina
Bipocni said:

You're absolutely right, and I'm sorry.  My behaviour on this forum lately has been unexcuseable, giving out bad advice, false information or just being insulting when it wasn't called for.  Sorry if I offended you.

 

In regards to the arms down version: how does it compare to a straddle arch?  I can imagine both would be a good way to regress the exercise to a more manageable level.

Bipocni said:

Noted. I've been developing a tendency lately to chime in with advice on everything, regardless of whether I really know what I'm talking about or not. This clearly isn't my field of expertise, nor will it ever be, and I'd hate to turn into an "armchair expert" giving people terrible advice or false information. I think I'll try asking more questions, rather than giving more answers.

Either way, if anyone wants to know how to buy an armchair I know some decent progressions...

It's okay Bipocni, don't beat yourself up (that's our job!  :icon_twisted: ), it is part of a process that we are all going through to some degree:

We are all learning a lot and one of the first things we want to do is share this new knowledge with others; however, it takes time for the digestion of such a steep learning curve, and mistakes are unavoidable.

To some extent, what you call your "excessive" willingness to give advice is rooted in a desire to give back what you received from the community, and a need to test this new knowledge. I think this is good!

Outside of being an outright dick (which happens when I am not careful), the same happened and will happen again to me; when realize I might be over reaching my level of understanding, I try to start some of the posts with a short disclaimer that allows me to still test the waters, maybe help, but also warn that I might have my head deep up my butt! :) Or I share things as my personal experience, or even mention that it is a work in progress...

Keep at it Bipocni, your posts are for the most part very helpful; you'll find your tone, and you know you can count on us to call it when you trip! :)