This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mobility questions

Started by EvolutionarySideSteps, September 30, 2013 · 32 Replies · 699 Views

Jon Douglas
Cole Dano said:

Don't think of this as a single arm dislocate. The twisting is not only acceptable it's part of the movement.

 

I learned this the hard way, as I also thought of it as a dislocate, and had Coach's athletes correct me last time I was there. The dumbbell should feel like it's moving in a single plane, in order for this to happen the are will be 'pinned' to the ear at the top while the body and dumbbell are synchronously twisted. The back should not arch or heave at all, the lifting is entirely from the arm. 

I stand corrected :) thanks Cole.

I performed it with more of a twist prior to the Sept seminar, where I was told to keep it to a minimum. It's possible that I was exaggerating it a bit much, warranting that correction, but regardless I prefer your cue of feeling like it stays in the one plane.

Bipocni

I thought moving in one plane was a given.  The point is to open up the shoulders tho, right?  So if you can perform the movement in a single plane of motion, without twisting the torso, shouldn't you?

Keilani Gutierrez
Bipocni said:

I thought moving in one plane was a given.  The point is to open up the shoulders tho, right?  So if you can perform the movement in a single plane of motion, without twisting the torso, shouldn't you?

per whatever reason Coach (I figure he'd go into more technical detail at a seminar for example) opted to include the torso twist, i'd just stick to doing the torso twist because it involves the Lats and Lat's contribute to scapular mobility (which is the goal of HBP iM [basic mobility of the shoulder girdle]) 

ausswe

If I don't twist the torso I find it near impossible to keep my arm in one plane of motion

Adriano Augusto

I read by Coach (If I remember correctly) that at top of the movement you should feel like as a HS: arm block and next to ears. 

 

This movement is more complex than its appears, so I'll increase the weight gradually.

 

Actually I'm pretty comfortable with 3-4kg, and I think that I can progress up to 6kg soon; both fordward and backward Xiaopengs.

Bipocni
ausswe said:

If I don't twist the torso I find it near impossible to keep my arm in one plane of motion

How wide a grip do you need for dislocates?

ausswe

Mmmm don't have anything to measure but maybe like 1.3 times shoulder width?

Bipocni

Well then by necessity you'll need to twist the torso.  Coaches and seminar goers are saying it's necessary, so I'm going to have to assume they're right.  Maybe if you had ridiculous levels of mobility you wouldn't need to, but otherwise...