This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

PE, PE-iM form check please

Started by Burtchell345, September 30, 2013 · 10 Replies · 214 Views

Burtchell345

I just started F1, I do have some solid foundation so,I started on week 9 of the very first set of exercises, but I could use some form critiques to make sure I am doing this properly, and to decide on stepping back to week 5 or not. I can't stress how much I was humbled today going from 5x3r and 3x5r programs for movements and 10x6s, 8x8s for holds to 4x12r or 4x48s. Hello lactic acid.

FL/PE1-



sPL/PE1-


BHB/PE1-


RC/PE1-
Keegan Y

Try to film your videos from the same angle that the demo videos that come with the course are filmed from, that'll make comparing your form to the demo athlete's form easier. I realize this can be tricky if you workout alone, so just do your best.

The mat you are using on FL PE1 makes it difficult to see your back, but if you aren't already doing so make sure your lower back is round/pressed into the floor and you have a posterior pelvic tilt/your tailbone is "tucked under".

IM looks like you are hollowing/rounding mostly at your Thoracic spine and not enough at your Lumbar spine. Look at the way the curve in the demo athlete's spine is one continuous arch, while yours has a very distinct curve in your upper back and then is straighter in your lower back. I have the same issue and have found that rolling my lower back with two tennis balls taped together along the sides of your spine and watching myself in the mirror while doing the IM have helped my form look more like the model's.

sPL PE1- it's tough to tell how much you are protracting at the top due to the angle, but the later reps you are getting your shoulder blades together, so the ROM looks good at the bottom of those.

sPL iM1- looks very good, I'm jealous :-)

HBP PE1- tough to tell because of the angle.

RC PE1- again, not a great angle. If you aren't already, your hips and shoulders should be just barely off the ground when you are at the bottom of the movement. You also should move your hips further back behind the rings so that your torso is fully upright at the top of the motion and not leaning back. Re watch the demo video and you'll see what I mean.

RC iM1- you should not be leaning forwards at the hips like you are, your torso should be upright (hence the name of the iM "upright lat lean"). Again, go watch the iM video again and compare it to your video and you'll see the difference.

Hope this helps.

Burtchell345

Awesome thank you so much for the feedback. I realized after seeing the videos that I needed to change a few things, like more thoracic flexion during the hollow body, and on the RC/PE-iM my form was horrible. Also, I'll put up the other videos tomorrow when I complete the workout.

Burtchell345

More vides

SL/PE1,SL/PE-iM

MN/PE1, MN/PE1-iM

SLS/PE1, SLS/PE1-iM

popook99

I'm pretty new at F1, but I have a pretty good background in movement, here is what I noticed:

 

For SL/PE1, it's hard to tell with your shorts, you want your knees to be locked out

 

For SLS/PE1, you want to use the momentum from your heels coming close to your butt to get your chest over your feet. Also notice the acceleration of the athelete in F1, he has one speed when rolling back, and a faster speed when rolling back to his feet.

Riku Calderón

SL/PE1 looks good but do you have your feet together?

MN/PE1 i think you can get your knees to your chest. So do so :)

SLS/PE1 looks good

Burtchell345
popook99 said:

I'm pretty new at F1, but I have a pretty good background in movement, here is what I noticed:

 

For SL/PE1, it's hard to tell with your shorts, you want your knees to be locked out

 

For SLS/PE1, you want to use the momentum from your heels coming close to your butt to get your chest over your feet. Also notice the acceleration of the athelete in F1, he has one speed when rolling back, and a faster speed when rolling back to his feet.

Thank you! I had my knees locked, and the tip on the SLS will help out from further bruising my tail bone. :(

Burtchell345
RiQC said:

SL/PE1 looks good but do you have your feet together?

MN/PE1 i think you can get your knees to your chest. So do so :)

SLS/PE1 looks good

For the most part, I had my feet together, but I have really tight hamstrings from this 500 4x a week for 5 weeks kettlebell swing challenge, so near the end of each set I felt my feet coming apart and turning out. As for the MN, I was on cement and my tail bone was starting to hurt. All my videos were captured on my last set when form typically suffers the most.

Keegan Y

SL PE1- like RiQC said, keep your feet together, which they did not appear to be at any point during the video you posted.

When posting to check to see if you've got the form down, don't post your last set as that is likely to show you when you are fatigued and may not accurately portray your performance on your earlier sets.

When posting to get the thumbs up or feedback on a mastery attempt, then go ahead and post your last set as at that point your last set should showcase correct form throughout it's entirety.

MN PE1- again, if this set was not indicative of how you normally perform the movement, then post a video of an earlier set that is. You really need to round your back forwards on these and actually touch your knees to your chest (not just thighs to stomach).

MN iM1- I'd suggest using a lighter KB/DB and focusing on trying to get more ROM. Remember that while you can and are building some strength with some of the iM's, their primary purpose is mobility/Range Of Motion not strength.

SLS PE1 and SLS iM1 looked pretty good from what I could see. Maybe could use a little work till the feet are actually together during the PE, but good other than that.

Burtchell345
Keegan Y said:

SL PE1- like RiQC said, keep your feet together, which they did not appear to be at any point during the video you posted.

When posting to check to see if you've got the form down, don't post your last set as that is likely to show you when you are fatigued and may not accurately portray your performance on your earlier sets.

When posting to get the thumbs up or feedback on a mastery attempt, then go ahead and post your last set as at that point your last set should showcase correct form throughout it's entirety.

MN PE1- again, if this set was not indicative of how you normally perform the movement, then post a video of an earlier set that is. You really need to round your back forwards on these and actually touch your knees to your chest (not just thighs to stomach).

MN iM1- I'd suggest using a lighter KB/DB and focusing on trying to get more ROM. Remember that while you can and are building some strength with some of the iM's, their primary purpose is mobility/Range Of Motion not strength.

SLS PE1 and SLS iM1 looked pretty good from what I could see. Maybe could use a little work till the feet are actually together during the PE, but good other than that.

Hey thank you so much. These tips all helped out and I'll make sure to apply them tomorrow and from now on. Any tips keeping my feet together? Every time I try to increase range on my ABH my feet start to turn out, and my legs come apart. The same thing happens during my pike stretches. As for the MN-PE1iM that kettlebell was all I had and I just figure it would work since 20kg is easy for 5 reps.

Keilani Gutierrez
Burtchell345 said:

Thank you! I had my knees locked, and the tip on the SLS will help out from further bruising my tail bone. :(

this happened to me too! I noticed this was how i was "failing" when getting tired on the PE, especially after coming out of Tuck Ups. just remember that you need to be smooth don't try to "rock" by arching your back to get back onto your feet, try to roll like one unit. 

 

that lower back smacking i was doing on the yoga mat is gone, apart from working close to maximal compression endurance on my part every time I bump up the volume and get acclimated to it. 

 

let me know if this helps, as it can get kinda annoying :P