flat tuck back lever progress video 2/2013 - 9/2013

Started by nostalgiaforinfinity, September 30, 2013 · 10 Replies · 2,389 Views

nostalgiaforinfinity

Hi guys i have been working on the back lever for about 9 months now and making good progress! I am content with working my current flat tuck at 5 seconds and pulling to inverted for the rest of my ssc cycle. for my NEXT ssc I was either thinking of increasing my time in this current position to 10 seconds for a total of two months deloading and then testing myself in the straddle position or half lay position. 

 

heres the video! any constructive criticism is welcome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv_YUL3Psqo

 

 

Joshua Slocum

The same advice you got in your last post still holds: don't arch, and make sure you reach a level hold position. Get a friend to tell you when you're level if you can't feel it. 

 

I would not increase the hold time until you're able to perform the flat tuck with good form every time. 

nostalgiaforinfinity

How is the last clip in the compilation? I train it at 2 days a week for 5 reps of slow 3-4 seconds of descent 5 second hold and then press/pull to inverted while maintaining the flat tuck. I really want to keep progressing even if it is slow without injury.

Daniel Burnham

Last one looks pretty good. Accumulate a good amount of time there and you will have straddle soon enough.

Josh's advice still holds true though. If you aren't able to maintain that last shape for multiple sets you should still hold back.

Joshua Slocum

It looks like you're arching your lower back (i.e. sticking your butt out) in the last one. It could be a poor camera angle: get a shot directly from the side and it'll be easier for us to tell. 

 

There are more kinds of progression than simply increasing hold time. Staying at the current hold time and improving IS progressing. 

Daniel Burnham
Joshua Slocum said:

It looks like you're arching your lower back (i.e. sticking your butt out) in the last one. It could be a poor camera angle: get a shot directly from the side and it'll be easier for us to tell.

There are more kinds of progression than simply increasing hold time. Staying at the current hold time and improving IS progressing.

Very true.

Mats Trane

Dont just works stativ holds.

If your elbows and shoulders are up to it, add slow back pulls.

From german hang pull your self slowly ( real slowly) to inverted hang.

nostalgiaforinfinity
Mats Trane said:

Dont just works stativ holds.

If your elbows and shoulders are up to it, add slow back pulls.

From german hang pull your self slowly ( real slowly) to inverted hang.

I can pull from advance tuck (parallel to the ground). i haven't tried from german hang only for one reason. The play ground i train at is restrictive in height and strap length, making some moves like german hang a little awkward as i can't extend my legs out fully. It's amazing how much strength you can get from moving around dynamically while doing statics!

nostalgiaforinfinity
Joshua Slocum said:

It looks like you're arching your lower back (i.e. sticking your butt out) in the last one. It could be a poor camera angle: get a shot directly from the side and it'll be easier for us to tell.

There are more kinds of progression than simply increasing hold time. Staying at the current hold time and improving IS progressing.

I think it's a bad angle. Like you said a side view is probably best in this case. I'll try to take another one this weekend. I really have changed my perspective on training to where i want perfect form in all my exercises.

I appreciate the feedback everyone has generously given me.

Cody

Whoaaaaaaaaaaa, how do you do that? :D

nostalgiaforinfinity
Cody said:

Whoaaaaaaaaaaa, how do you do that? :D

Kids love gymnastics haha