Palms, fingers, first knuckles...

Started by Jon Douglas, September 30, 2013 · 6 Replies · 3,969 Views

Jon Douglas

Hi all,

I know this is a question most of us have asked in our first few days here, and generally the advice is to go with whatever feels most comfortable-- floor planche and support work including Lsits, StraddleLs and manna work with either flat palms, first knuckles, etc.

 

I'm coming back to this question again now as I learn more about how everything fits together-- my goals don't stop at static work, and I am eyeing off walks, jumps, swings etc in those positions.

 

First knuckle is my preference for L/StraddleL/Manna, flat palms for planche. I can get the sets done (and have forced myself to) with flat palms, but if I allow myself to use my first knuckle it is a whole order of magnitude easier-- my floor L for example might be close to double the single set length. Am I cheating myself at all with that extra inch or so of clearance, or is there really not a whole lot of difference?

 

What brought this up was playing with middle split holds and Lsit walks-- thinking about cantilevers and clearance and support base sizes. I also wonder about pressing from L or straddleL to handstand-- surely that necessitates training with flat palms.

Joshua Slocum

Yes, the hand position you're using will make a difference when you try to learn new variations of the skill. In general it seems to be much easier to learn things the way that feels comfortable and then branch out, rather than to try to choose a hand position that feels weird for learning the skill initially. 

 

In short, don't worry about it :)

Jon Douglas
Joshua Slocum said:

Yes, the hand position you're using will make a difference when you try to learn new variations of the skill. In general it seems to be much easier to learn things the way that feels comfortable and then branch out, rather than to try to choose a hand position that feels weird for learning the skill initially. 

 

In short, don't worry about it :)

"Will my manna suffer if I achieve it on my first knuckles?"

"I haven't written my novel yet; should I go with a European or American publisher?"

heh :)

Joshua Slocum
Jon Douglas said:

"Will my manna suffer if I achieve it on my first knuckles?"

"I haven't written my novel yet; should I go with a European or American publisher?"

heh :)

Given how fast you went through F1&2, you should be there in a year or two  B-)

Jon Douglas
Joshua Slocum said:

Given how fast you went through F1&2, you should be there in a year or two  B-)

 

I'm hopeful ;) planches and ring strength are incredible, but there's something about that manna... maybe it's the way I can see my whole workout being surpassed in about thirty seconds when someone can press into it for reps...

Jon Douglas

I think Joshua's answer pretty much covers my question, but I'd certainly welcome any more input/experiences from anyone :)

Bipocni

I think at some point you are going to have to work on the palms flat variations of the exercises.  When I first learned how to L sit I had to use my knuckles, but later I learned to use the palms flat variation once I got better depression strength.  Think of the palms flat variation as a harder progression.