Shoulder Stretches Aren't Working

Started by Sailor Venus, September 30, 2013 · 16 Replies · 4,828 Views

Sailor Venus

I've been trying shoulder stretches for a long time and I'm not getting any results. I like to have shoulder flexiblity so I can execute handsprings. Without them my handsprings go nowhere. And also, be able to have my arms behind me like rhythmic gymnast can. :)

 

I tried the most common stretches like facing the wall, put hands against it and push my shoulders towards the floor. I frequently used this exercise and it feels like my shoulder capsule is about to pop rather than stretching anything. I reckon this exercise might have done some damage to my shoulders - I felt something grinding in my shoulders when I rotate them and its been that way for years.

 

I also tried inlocate/dislocates and still do them now. I can't tell if its helping me, I reckon its slow so I won't get my hopes too high from this exercise.

 

Bridges don't help at all. Shoulders refuse to stretch and instead my lower back takes the pressure and it ain't pleasant. Bridges also gives me the feeling that the shoulder capsule is about to be pulled apart.

 

I like doing German hangs. And also do it on the floor too - hands behind me and locked out and slide forward. Definately feel a muscle stretch from this exercise. I sense this is not the most direct stretching method.

 

 

Does anyone have any advice please? Thanks.

Micawberian

All these things you've tried...bridges, dislocates, and other various stretches and mobility for the shoulder girdle can be found in the foundation and handstand series. You start from the basics and build the mobility elements bit by bit. I strongly recommend it.

FredInChina
Sailor Venus said:
(...)

Does anyone have any advice please? Thanks.

 

H1 - resistance is futile! :)

swhitley

Try bridges with feet raised on a chair or even a table if needed. Could also walk your feet up the wall, or do a sort of hollowback handstand hold on the wall to get the shoulders. It should put the emphasis on the shoulders and not the lower back But only do them if your shoulder can handle it

Joshua Slocum

I think the best thing you could do is find someone experienced in stretching to teach you in person. It's one thing to get advice over the internet; it's quite another to have someone there actively watching and correcting you, whom you can also ask questions as you think of them.

 

Getting H1/F1 will certainly help. On top of the mobility work, the strength and balance that comes with them will also be of great use to you in achieving your goals. 

Rayne-William

Most shoulder stretches don't help me out either. However what works for me is doing the arm postion for the yoga "Eagle" pose.

 

While doing this stretch I usually have to pull my arms downward or push them upward to find tension. Be sure to switch arms....(IE: Right arm on top of left arm....left arm onto of right arm.)

swhitley

Could be that you're just not quite doing the stretches properly, or the correct progression of it. I bought Kit's stretching and flexibility book that is always mentioned on here, and his descriptions of correct form make so many stretches I already thought I knew so much more effective. The lean to the side with your arm over your head stretch everyone does for example, when that is done correctly, wow. I did not know that was also a shoulder stretch. (This is the alternative to Josh's get someone to teach you in person suggestion. Kit's book has many tips to self correct your form, its very good)

Do you do contract and relax (PnF?) stretching? Thats meant to be one of, if not the most effective way to stretch, and also gives you strength in the range of motions your pushing yourself into. Maybe you have improved your overall flexibility, but don't have the shoulder strength yet to hold your arm in that range of motion?

FredInChina
swhitley said:

(...) correct form make so many stretches I already thought I knew so much more effective (...)

 

Printing the tee shirts! :)

Sailor Venus
FredInChina said:

H1 - resistance is futile! :)

Will the shoulder stretch exercises in the programme allow me to have my arms behind me like a typical rhythmic gymnast does? If so, I'm in!

 

Speaking of handstands, everything in my form is fine but my wrists won't hold my bodyweight and I've been working on my handstands for like two years. Without wrist strength I can't push my finger tips down enough to stop myself from falling forward.

 

 

swhitley said:

Could be that you're just not quite doing the stretches properly, or the correct progression of it. I bought Kit's stretching and flexibility book that is always mentioned on here, and his descriptions of correct form make so many stretches I already thought I knew so much more effective. The lean to the side with your arm over your head stretch everyone does for example, when that is done correctly, wow. I did not know that was also a shoulder stretch. (This is the alternative to Josh's get someone to teach you in person suggestion. Kit's book has many tips to self correct your form, its very good)

Do you do contract and relax (PnF?) stretching? Thats meant to be one of, if not the most effective way to stretch, and also gives you strength in the range of motions your pushing yourself into. Maybe you have improved your overall flexibility, but don't have the shoulder strength yet to hold your arm in that range of motion?

I've been using PNF since day one! PNF is awesome! Never heard of Kit though.

FredInChina
Sailor Venus said:

Will the shoulder stretch exercises in the programme allow me to have my arms behind me like a typical rhythmic gymnast does? If so, I'm in!

(...)

 

Did I misread? Aren't you a...... football player?

You'll never be a ballerina, nor a jockey, make your peace with it! :P

Sailor Venus

Football player? Not anymore, I've grown out of it. I swapped helmets and shoulder pads for balance beams and uneven bars. No more hitting wide receivers, running backs and kick returners. Boy I miss playing defensive end. Now its all about those graceful splits leaps and full turns. There's no grace in football, all you find there is aggression and testosterone. Ballet dancing is more fun than being beaten up by angry guys ten stones heavier than me. Womens' Artistic is the new football.

FredInChina

HAHAHAHAHA... :)

Okay then, I have no idea if the program will enable you to have your arms behind you like a typical rhythmic gymnast.

 

[sorry, I ran out of "like" ammo already!] :o

thecolin
Sailor Venus said:

 

I've been using PNF since day one! PNF is awesome! Never heard of Kit though.

Kit is pretty much universally recommended here as a resource for stretching techniques for adults with stubborn stiffness. If you're interested in some in-person teaching as well like Joshua recommended, I'm working on helping organize a gymnastics specific flexibility workshop with Kit in Europe (northern Italy) some time later next year.

Sailor Venus

I searched around on him. Kit Laughlin. Yeah, I went on his youtube channels and watched a few videos. Cheers.

Alessandro Mainente

best way to improve shoulders mobility in flexion over the head both arched and hollow position is combine H1 powerful active mobility and PNF techique + long holds to teach the brain how your ROM has to move.

Flexibility it's all about neural parameter influenced by superior nervous system . as the technique you are using is related to strength gains during the new ROM , you will achieve a safe and permanent range of motion in a joint. Stretch is important as learn how to relax, for the most people low level of progress is related to low ability to relax muscles.

thecolin
alex87 said:

H1 powerful active mobility and PNF techique + long holds to teach the brain how your ROM has to move

 

Agreed, stall bars are great for this. I can easily get into the positions as per H1 mobility but the fixed bars allow me to use Kit's Stretch and Relax technique more effectively.

kit laughlin

Yeah, I went on his youtube channels and watched a few videos

Well, you are going to need to do more than that: practise (intensely and infrequently) on the ROMs that your shoulders will not go into easily. Partner assistance on the box bridge (the one with feel elevated as swhitely mentioned above) is the fast track to thoracic extension, and that's where part of the useful shoulder ROM comes from.

 

There's much more. Re. your wrists, Coach has a large range of techniques for this. Getting H1/F1 will work, providing you do the work. Perhaps we will see you in Italy next year.