This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hs-pe and Hs-se are they separate exercises?

Started by Brad Mifsud, September 28, 2013 · 12 Replies · 292 Views

Brad Mifsud

Hi guys,

Sorry for the question. I have been training pe and se as separate elements. However after reading hs1 tonight it seems they are the same exercise just further along? Would mean id stop working on a freestanding Hs if that is the case and continue working on my crap dislocates only.

Thanks guys!

KingJR

PE are preparatory elements, SE are Specific elements. So you'd need to be done with the PE before moving on to the SE. So yep, stop the handstands and work on your crap dislocates. Which is also where I'm at right now!

swhitley

I don't think you should stop handstands, especially if you do them for fun like I do. Your current handstand form will improve as you work on the PE's, then the later PE's and SE's will build handstand endurance. If you keep working handstands now, you'll get the hang of balance and gain strength so you'll progress the SE's faster when you get to them. Definitely don't start the SE's until you have finished the PE's, as you won't get as much benefit without the shoulder flexibility, but keep practicing handstands in whatever way you already do. I think most people would quit a £60 program for building handstands that tells you not to play with handstands for potentially 18 months (6 x 3 month cycles) of shoulder flexibility and hip positioning work

Any beginner gymnastics class will have you working on handstands from day one (if you have the very basic strength), and a good beginner gymnastics class will have you work strength and flexibility separately alongside that to correct your handstand as you go along

Micawberian
swhitley said:

I think most people would quit a £60 program for building handstands that tells you not to play with handstands for potentially 18 months (6 x 3 month cycles) of shoulder flexibility and hip positioning work

 

 

Most people don't get anywhere with their goals.

swhitley
Biren P. said:

Most people don't get anywhere with their goals.

True. I didn't mean for it to come across disrespectful to the program, but relevant to the topic, if you already have a freestanding handstand, surely training/maintaining/playing with it whilst doing H1 can't be a bad thing? I'm sure I've seen mention of still doing your current strength skills occasionally along with foundation to maintain them, and over time you'll see what you've already got improving massively

Jon Douglas

Both approaches can work. For me I am pretty sure i was better off dropping handstand practise completely and rebuilding it from the ground up with H1. Its not so much injury risk, more inefficient use of time and effort training sub par skills than biding ones time and training good habits in

Someone who just needs to clean up their handstand a little might do better stacking regular practise on top of it. If your handstand is a joke's afterthought as mine was, then go spend time with shoulder and hip prep before you bother putting hours into your balance prep :)

Obviously only imo

Brad Mifsud

No handstand skill to speak of and poor handstands when done due to tight shoulders etc. Will drop thanks.

tri4ben

I practiced back to wall and stomach to wall handstands long before I got H1.  

 

With the PEs and the SEs, I do those at pretty much the prescribed levels.  

 

But I also do alot of freestanding and wall work as well, even if I am not technically flexible enough to do so.

Timophes

Just to be sure.

 

Do we need to master PE1 before going to SE1 or we have to master all the PE exercises before starting the SE series ?

From my point of view, I'd say that PE1 > SE1 > PE2 > SE2 and so on.

 

Thanks

posskey
Timophes said:

Just to be sure.

 

Do we need to master PE1 before going to SE1 or we have to master all the PE exercises before starting the SE series ?

From my point of view, I'd say that PE1 > SE1 > PE2 > SE2 and so on.

 

Thanks

Master each and every PE before moving on to SEs.

gohei_

All of the PEs should be mastered before moving on to SE1.

Riku Calderón

It's in introduction. Under preparatory and specific elements!

Timophes

Ok, thank guys.