This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bumping up the reps for HBP mastery?

Started by Ravn, September 25, 2013 · 4 Replies · 216 Views

Ravn

Hi guys

The F2 HBP progressions are quite easy for me (not claiming superhero status, since I struggled and still struggle on e.g. SL, MN and FL).

Would it be ok to bump up the reps on HBP to something like 5x8, at least until F3 comes out? I figure that it could yield some extra hypertrophy, which could come in handy later on. 5x8 would not take too much work to attain. 5x10 would probably take quite a bit more effort.

BTW, I love warming up with a set of HBP 1, 2 & 3 each, before starting with dips. Gives a nice increase in overall volume.

Bipocni

I see no reason why you couldn't.  I know I will definitely be going for extra reps for say, pullups, regardless of whether F3 is out or not by then.

 

Alternatively you could always work on handstand pushup variations since it looks pretty likely that those will be in F3.  I figure nailing 5x5 tiger handstand pushups would be pretty useful.

 

Or you could take the time to go back and double check your mastery of all the previous elements again.

 

The possibilities are endless!

Jon Douglas

I've done a bit of both. Worked through hspu progressions, but without the integrated.mobility didn't want to go far. Rather than increasing reps though I've preferred to string them together like that RC thread. Atm I'm keeping it simple by not coming down-- start with a dead hang muscle up, do your dips, then go back under and mu again to hit the next set.

Recommend you start at week one with it :)

Its not strictly approved and i don't recommend it unless the accompanying stretch is a joke for you (and you are already ok with muscle ups for reps), obviously if you need to develop it more you'll need more sets and this approach won't accommodate that. Plenty of other combinations about though :)

Ravn

Ok thanks. Good options. Will probably just stick with higher rep dips for once and not overcomplicate the program. HeSPU will come soon enough, and knowing my luck muscleups will probably give me an injury if I reintroduce them too quickly. Older, but wiser (sort of).

Jon Douglas
Ravn said:

Ok thanks. Good options. Will probably just stick with higher rep dips for once and not overcomplicate the program. HeSPU will come soon enough, and knowing my luck muscleups will probably give me an injury if I reintroduce them too quickly. Older, but wiser (sort of).

Also good :)