Protein Powder and Health

Started by Gym Kirk, September 24, 2013 · 4 Replies · 2,608 Views

Gym Kirk

I recently read an article about an independent study done by a university that tested Muscle Milk for toxins. It was determined by the study that there was alarmingly high levels of arsenic, cadmium, and lead. All of which are carcinogenic. They attributed this to the manufacturing process and the lack of FDA regulation. I know they tested a limited batch and a single brand, but are there any brands that have FDA regulation? Also does anyone have additional information on this - either for or against? I try to get most of my nutrition naturally and unprocessed, but it can be hard with kids, school, etc. I reached a point where I need to take on more calories to gain weight, but am finding it difficult with my responsibilities for any more food prep.

Gym Kirk

Bipocni

FDA regulation really doesn't mean that something is safe to eat....

 

Spirulina and chlorella are both natural organisms you can eat in powder for, around 60% protein.  The one has been used to treat arsenic poisoning and the other is great for detoxifying the body of heavy metals.  If you have the money, you could add them to your shakes.

Gym Kirk
Bipocni said:

FDA regulation really doesn't mean that something is safe to eat....

 

Spirulina and chlorella are both natural organisms you can eat in powder for, around 60% protein.  The one has been used to treat arsenic poisoning and the other is great for detoxifying the body of heavy metals.  If you have the money, you could add them to your shakes.

I agree with you in regards to the FDA. I do know they wouldn't allow for the levels of the carcinogens to be that high. As for shakes, I use a vitamix and Greek yogurt. I'm trying to find alternate solutions to milk based things which is why I was asking about protein powder. Thanks for the input.

Gym Kirk
Domz said:

I would stay away from spirulina as there are some reports of neurotoxicity:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19520132

 

Regarding toxins, etc in protein powders:

Consumer Reports did some research into that but the source is inaccessible to me: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20578336

I didn't realize consumer reports did a report on that. With a google search on "consumer reports protein powder" I was able to find the article. I didnt have access the your link either. Thanks for the info.

Bipocni
Domz said:

I would stay away from spirulina as there are some reports of neurotoxicity:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19520132

Hmm, the neurotoxin is only present in batches that haven't been adequately quality controlled.  But then, quality control is what OP was worried about in the first place...