This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Questions on push-up and SSS

Started by kimura, September 22, 2013 · 6 Replies · 319 Views

kimura

Hello,

 

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post, but I've been lurking for a bit. I'm so excited to have begun the foundation and handstand courses, as I've been searching for a training program like this for a long time. Out of all the physical training I've done, I'm most excited to work through this course and achieve the beautiful gymnastics positions such as planche, freestanding handstand, front lever, etc. and I'm ready to put in the work to do it! A bit about my background: I have a doctorate in physical therapy, and have been lifting and training martial arts for years. I have done traditional weight training, crossfit training, and most recently have been using mostly strongman training (stone lifts, tire flips, yoke walks, etc.) to supplement my martial arts. I'm a brazilian jiu-jitsu practitioner and I compete regularly. It seems to me that the foundation/handstand courses are the perfect training program for what I do, and I plan on combining that with strongman training 1x/wk and conditioning 1-2x/wk. Anyway, enough about that.

 

I am currently testing my levels in all of the various exercises before I officially start the program in about a week. While looking through the videos, I noticed some things that I would love to have clarified.

 

1. The athlete in HBP/PE2 (push-up) appears as though his scapulae are protracted throughout the entire movement. I was under the impression that they should be retracted during a push-up. Can someone clarify this for me?

 

2. In SLS/PE4 (SSS), the heel of the weight bearing leg comes off the ground and the knee comes far forward. I will of course defer to Coach Sommers' expertise, but I'm concerned that this is not the most stable position for the knee. As far as I know, the heel should remain on the ground for all squatting motions. I wanted confirmation that this is the form we should be emulating.

 

Again, very excited to be a part of this community and to start my gymnastics journey! Thanks in advance for your replies!

 

Guest

1.Your scapula will retract at the bottom of the pushup. No need to overthink it, just do a pushup.

 

2. Yes, your heel should be on the ground the entire time. However, it is a common misconception that if the knee comes past your toes, it is bad. Try stretching your hamstring, ankles, and calves before this to get your Achilles more flexible.

 

Hope all your training is going well.

Keegan Y

Whether coming up onto the toes is a concern will depend a lot on how much you weigh and how strong your connective tissues are. So while it's true that keeping the heel down is ideal, when discussing bodyweight exercises it's not always harmful if the heel rises.

Riku Calderón

Kimura :) like you already!

Mark Collins

Another Physio. Or as you say in the USA, physical therapist. What area do you work in?

kimura

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm sure there will be more questions to come. I can already see that swivel hips are going to be a problem for me, lol.

Mark, I work in Connecticut, and currently am doing home care PT. And yourself?

Mark Collins

I am on the Central Coast in Australia, which is one hour north of Sydney.

I have a Private Practice and treat musculoskeletal injuries.