This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Archer dips and Archer pullups

Started by JohnHQ, September 20, 2013 · 8 Replies · 283 Views

JohnHQ

I'm chasing 1-arm pullups and the Iron Cross, and want a challenging dip-type movement.  I'm able to add considerable weight to pullups (70 lbs for low reps) and Bulgarian Dips (100 lbs for low reps).  Are Archer Pullups and Archer Dips good alternatives to avoid having to strap on lots of weight?  

 

Would appreciate any input or suggestions, especially from Coach Sommer.

Keegan Y

I think this is the wrong forum to post this question; this forum is for F1 material and questions pertaining to it. There is a Ring Training forum that might be a better place to post it.

Just out of curiosity though, have you mastered all of the F1 and F2 material yet? If not, I would put your effort into doing so rather than worrying about Archer dips/pull-ups. If you have, well then, great job and maybe Coach or one of the advanced guys can better answer your question than I can.

JohnHQ

Good point, Keegan. Thanks.  Will post there.    

 

Working on mastering F1..very close...and very impatient ;-)

 

Thanks again.

jwalker497

What is an archer dip? Never heard that and i cant find anything online

JohnHQ

Similar in concept to Archer pullup - extend 1 arm to side at bottom of the dip and rely on bent arm to press out.

Daniel Burnham

Archer pull-ups and dips are not terribly useful exercises. Don't get me wrong they do decrease leverage and make and exercise more difficult. However you will not get to iron cross through these. Neither are they terribly helpful for OAC. I used both for a while before I knew better progressions. F1-4 will take you through more demanding exercises that increase in complexity and teach you how to control your body better. The progressions not only get harder but are more complex and have a distinct advantage because of this.

Also I should remind you of the dangers or chasing a cross or OAC before you are properly prepared. It almost always ends in injury to disregard these warnings.

So in summary STOP getting impatient! Realize that coach's program has been refined over the years and has been developed to avoid these problems. I guarantee you coach has seen archer variations and doesn't include them in the foundation series for a reason.

FredInChina
JohnHQ said:

I'm chasing 1-arm pullups and the Iron Cross

JohnHQ said:

(...) very impatient

 

:icon_rolleyes:

The best thing you can do at this stage is to start collecting all the information you can find on elbow rehab.

Use the search function. :)

 

Get a dog too, so you can kick it when you cannot train!

gohei_
FredInChina said:

:icon_rolleyes:

The best thing you can do at this stage is to start collecting all the information you can find on elbow rehab.

Use the search function. :)

Get a dog too, so you can kick it when you cannot train!

I guess I just found a new use for my dog.

Joakim Anderson
Daniel Burnham said:

Neither are they terribly helpful for OAC. I used both for a while before I knew better progressions.

 

What are the better progressions? Archer pullups with negative OACs worked well for me, so I'm curious about what could work even better.