This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elbow pain. Ouch.

Started by Jasper, September 20, 2013 · 8 Replies · 352 Views

Jasper

I've been suffering from elbow pain in my left elbow lately. The pain is on the inside edge and an internet search seems to suggest it's around the medial epicondyle. (Golfers elbow I think.)

 

I've recently moved on to HBP/PE2 and RC/PE3 so I'm thinking that one of those is to blame. Most of the other elements I've been on for months. I'm going to have to go back to an easier element to try and ease the pain. Which one do you think seems more likely to be the culprit.

 

If anyone has any more ideas I'd be pleased to hear them.

 

Jasp.

Nic Branson

For now I would more back on both and get the elbow healed. Once you have no pain then move up one at a time and see how your body responds. It could have possibly been either one or a combination of both, there is no way to definitively know.

FredInChina

My experience with medial epicondylitis was that pulling movements were the cause. I never had a problem with pushing. :) However, don't take this for granted, listen to Nic.

Moving back one or two elements as suggested by Nic may or may not help; I think, at least in my case, that this injury slowly build under the radar (no pain in spite of already being injured) until it flared and then it was too late! If it is your case too, you likely started to be injured on earlier progressions.

 

That too shall pass.......... B-)

Good luck

Ravn

Most likely the RC is the culprit, as the forearm flexors attach to the medial epicondyle. When I had golfer's elbow I could do one armed pushups wih no pain, however I couldn't even curl a 2 lb dumbbell, or scratch the top of my head for that matter. Best to put RC on pause until the pain subsides. However, with a bit of caution you may be able to continue to other exercises, but cut out everything that cause pain.

Edit: Pro tip: if you choose to continue with HBP, focus on pressing through the heel of the palm, not through the fingers. That will relieve your forearm flexors.

Vincearoo

I have golfer's elbow right now, too. I've rehabbed the crap out of it for a few months now. and I think I'm pretty much ready to reintroduce RC elements again. I'm still going to wait four more weeks until the end of the mini cycle, just to be extra safe.

FredInChina
Vincearoo said:

(...) I've rehabbed the crap out of it for a few months (...)

 

 

What did you do to rehab it Vincearoo? :)

Vincearoo

I had it for so long and hoped it would eventually go away, but it just doesn't. So i finally took a more proactive approach rather than just sitting around waiting for it to heal.

My favorite thing I've found so far for golfer's elbow is a voodoo band. That thing is pretty much magical, I use it everyday now and things are constantly improving.

I also roll my forearms out nicely with a lacrosse ball in addition to performing the wrist exercises in h1. I allude some of the strengthening to those exercises. Lastly, I hold a sledgehammer and turn it from side to side. Great success so far, I'm ecstatic to get back to pulling exercises again.

Jasper

Many thanks for all the replies. I suppose I'll back off on them both for a while to see if the pain decreases. (It's deload week next week anyway)

I too suspect it's the RC/PE3 that's either caused it, or is exacerbating a pre-existing injury. If it is that then I'm especially disappointed as RC is (was!) my strongest area by far. Do you think it'd be best to go back to RC/PE2 for now? I didn't have any pain whilst doing that.

I'm very interested to learn more about your rehab techniques Vincearoo. I'm going to google voodoo band right now.

Jasper

Thanks for the links. I'm really intrigued by the Voodoo Bands and can't wait to give it a try. I've seen some videos where they use a bicycle inner tube so I'll try and get one tomorrow. Do you tend to do it before or after working out? Or just whenever you fancy?