This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Results of the initial tests

Started by DocHatteras, September 19, 2013 · 4 Replies · 202 Views

DocHatteras

I am finishing up my series of initial tests, and think that I will be working on the fifth or sixth progression for nearly every exercise when I am done.  Some proved to be a real challenge, (Pseudo Planche Push-ups, for example) but I got through with as much style and grace as I could muster.  This will present me with a mixed-bag of exercises - some which are extremely easy (PB Dips), while others are still a challenge (Hollow Body Holds).

 

So if I understand correctly, I will be performing 2 separate 12-week blocks.  Where I found the exercise easy, I will still just do them at the specified intensity for both blocks; and where the exercises were challenging, I will progress after mastery is achieved?

 

Once I am finished those 2 blocks, what do I do from there?  I saw some people with a "Foundation 0.5" notation, so I assume there is another half of the course.  How do I move onto that?

 

By no means am I new to exercise, as I have been a certified trainer for 12 years, and I have even been a nationally qualified athlete.  I understand that progression is key, and mastery is essential before moving on, so I am not in a rush.  I am just confirming how this whole thing works.

Jon Douglas

First, welcome aboard! :)

Foundation one is the first of four volumes, including material for certifying to levels 0.5 and 1.0.

Dips are easy, as you say, which is why the material continues on into foundation 2 and beyond-- 3&4 due out soon.

0.5 means we've had our performance on the elements making up the first half of f1 inspected by Coach or a community manager. Zach and Yuri have done testing to 1.0 level.

As yet no one has tested to 1.5, although some people are close. Obviously foundation series covers 0- 4.0.

As for cycles, i think its simplest to break it into four week blocks for each exercise. Depending on your performance, you might need one, two or all three of these blocks to work up to the prescribed sets*reps. Just ensure your deload weeks all fall at the same time, and repeat :)

If you're done with an exercise, feel free to post form checks here-- we all contribute unless you are paying for a community manager to check in detail (but they also drop in on those when they have time, at least to catch any.bad advice in the bud). If you decide not to do this, you're welcome to arrange testing, or just pick up foundation two and continue the trek :)

Joshua Slocum

If an exercise is very easy, you will be able to master it (e.g. perform a workout at week 11 volume with good form and tempo).

If the exercise is easy but you're not quite at the point where you've mastered it, you can start at week 5 or 9 instead of starting at week 1. The important thing is that every exercise has a deload week at the same time.

 

So if you start next week, you'll choose where in the 12-week template you want to start for each exercise. For dips, you might want to start at week 9, since it sounds like you feel you're close to mastery. For hollow body holds, you might want to start at week 1. 

Then you'll follow the progression templates as best you can from week to week. Once you've successfully completed week 11 (and then subsequently perform a deload during week 12), you should move on to the next exercise. 

 

If you've mastered the final exercise for a progression in F1, you should get F2 for a continuation of the progressions. 

Coach Sommer

Do not ignore the iM.  Both the exercise and its paired iM must demonstrate mastery in order to move forward to the next progression.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

DocHatteras

Thanks for all of the advice.  I think that I will do 4 weeks at each progression, even if I think I've mastered them.  The tougher ones will take more time, but I like that idea of 3 weeks and a de-load anyway.

 

As for the Mobility, Coach - that is probably my favorite portion!  I have always been a fan of active recovery between sets, and some of my own training has utilized similar movements.  However, these are much more structured.  Thanks for the reminders!