This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hinge row question

Started by TonyA, September 19, 2013 · 16 Replies · 509 Views

TonyA

For the video it states to start with glutes and shoulders slightly off floor.  The athlete appears to be sitting on the floor the whole time.  Which is correct?

 

Thanks

Joshua Slocum

The video is unfortunately in error and needs to be corrected. Glutes should be slightly off of the floor. 

TonyA

Thank you!

Keegan Y
Joshua Slocum said:

The video is unfortunately in error and needs to be corrected. Glutes should be slightly off of the floor.

Did Coach recently say this at a seminar? I've seen no official word that this is the case. The form notes say to begin with the shoulders and glutes slightly off the floor, but say nothing about needing to remain off the floor. I know Zach and Coach have stated to copy the exercise videos, and I have yet to hear any official statements from Coach or Cory that this demo video is the exception.

But, I have yet to be to a seminar myself, and while I've read most posts and topics on the F1 forum, I could have admittedly missed one saying otherwise. So, if you have heard Coach say this in person, or can link to a post by Coach or Cory it would be appreciated.

Riku Calderón

I'm with Keegan Y. I think that people tend to over think this. Not shure what topic it was but Cole Dano said that just take the weight of from your bottom. It can still slightly grase the floor.

IMHO this way the progression seems right. It's "only" PE1.

But :D hopefully we will get corrections if we are mistaken.

MJE

When doing this exercise without weight on the glutes, no matter if they touch the ground or not, it feels MUCH harder for me than the pe2, especially for the forearms, biceps and elbows. I was wondering if you guys feel the same, if its intended, or maybe if im simply doing it wrong?

Rob SFO

PE1 with glutes off the ground feels harder than PE2 for me.

Riku Calderón
MJE said:

When doing this exercise without weight on the glutes, no matter if they touch the ground or not, it feels MUCH harder for me than the pe2, especially for the forearms, biceps and elbows. I was wondering if you guys feel the same, if its intended, or maybe if im simply doing it wrong?

I think you are doing if wrong :( and sorry this post is a bit long.

I think the correct way is shown in the video. First position your body the right way under the rings. After that you leave your whole glutes on the foor. Start devevoping the right kind of feel and strenght to your upper back (sorry i dont know the name of the muscle group) by doing the exercise. The stronger and better you become at the movement the more the whole details start to make sense. When your body starts to adapt to the movement there is not really weight in your glutes anymore. And your upper back gets a hell of a workout.

I think that this is genius movement for PE1. Everybody has atleast that kind of strenght level at the bekinning that they can pull their upperbody upright. As you start to get proficient you naturanny start to do it with more control and less weight in the glutes.

I think that in this way i atleast have first time found the right muscles for my back to do the job.

Just stop the acrobatics in PE1 :D

spinelli

I believe if you read the other threads on this topic then a lot of people do say that it is much harder than PE2 if performed correctly, but as far as I understand the idea is that you can progressively load the movement from next to nothing to almost full bodyweight, also if performed correctly it teaches proper movement and activation of the scapula etc.

The way it should be performed is as follows, set the rings so that you'r shoulders are just off the floor when you are under the rings with arms fully extended. Now, hanging under the rings take the weight of your glutes, note this doesn't mean that your glutes can't touch the floor but they should not be actively supporting any weight, focus on keeping your elbows in and imagine that you are pulling them as down and back as possible as you can when you lift yourself up. Keep your back straight and bend at the hips. You might have to adjust where exactly you are under the rings so that you are sitting at 90 degrees at the top of the movement.

 

Hope that helps

Rob SFO

That's helpful, thanks. Although, I don't mind that it's hard...just means it's better for me. :)

Keegan Y

I think that the other threads on this subject illustrate how much some people over think this stuff.

It's PE1, but you have people making it into something that is much more difficult than it is designed to be.

"It blows my mind how over thought this PE is. Amusing to say the least. You are all forgetting this is just a step to make a regular body row easier by crippling the load. I the video, Jeff starts by glutes on the ground, hands ear level. Then lowers to shoulders a few inches off the ground, less than 4 to be sure, and glutes barely brushing if at all on the ground. When he pulls up, you can clearly see his glutes are in contact with the ground the original sitting position. This is one of those exercises that you look at the video, read the 2 notes, and just do it. My general opinion of this PE anyways...."

These are the words of Zach Armijo, who is a moderator and Level 1 certified athlete, not mine.

Watch the videos and copy them exactly as demonstrated. To suggest that they are wrong is like saying that Coach Sommer is incorrect on how to perform his own exercises. If Coach or Cory chimes in and states outright that the videos are in error (and being reshot to illustrate the actual correct form) and one should perform them in a way that is different from the demo video, then perhaps it would be correct to do so. To date though I've yet to see such a post (including in that huge Hinge Row thread where Zach originally posted the above comment).

Don't over complicate things; the program is correct (and difficult enough) just as it is.

Rob SFO

Thanks Keegan, I hadn't seen that particular statement, while I have seen conflicting information. I'm not suggesting anything is wrong...My particular confusion comes from the apparent disconnect between the video (glutes on the floor) and the Focus Point (glutes off the floor).

Cheers,

Rob

Riku Calderón

Not saying that it is wrong. But that line could also be like "consentrate on pulling yourself upright and meke your glutes as light as possiple". And suddenly no one is doing ackrobatics any more :)

The only mistake here is that poeple over think. One watches the video and knows what to do. Reads the text and forgets the video and ones mind is all error error error :D

Keegan Y
Robert Frase said:

Thanks Keegan, I hadn't seen that particular statement, while I have seen conflicting information. I'm not suggesting anything is wrong...My particular confusion comes from the apparent disconnect between the video (glutes on the floor) and the Focus Point (glutes off the floor). Cheers,Rob

I don't really see a disconnect between the video and the focus points though.

The focus points state:

1) Begin with the glutes and shoulders just off the ground

2) Allow the hips to hinge as you pull hands to shoulders

Then you watch the video and see that the athlete begins in the "down" position of the exercise and think, "ok, so I need to adjust the ring height so that my hips and shoulders are just slightly off the ground when my arms are fully extended and shoulders relaxed (allowed to passively protract under the weight of my body/dead hang)."

Next the athlete hinges at his hips while pulling himself up to a seated position/allows his hips to hinge as he pulls his shoulders to his hands (or hands to shoulders).

IMO, the Focus points match up perfectly with what the demo video. When I first bought the course, read the Focus Points and watched the video everything was clear. It was only after reading through that huge Hinge Row thread that things got confusing. Finally Zach chimed in and again everything was clear again.

Keegan Y
RiQC said:

Not saying that it is wrong. But that line could also be like "consentrate on pulling yourself upright and meke your glutes as light as possiple". And suddenly no one is doing ackrobatics any more :)

The only mistake here is that poeple over think. One watches the video and knows what to do. Reads the text and forgets the video and ones mind is all error error error :D

But the line doesn't say that. Had Coach felt that keeping the glutes as light as possible/keeping them off the floor was an important form cue he would have put that in the Focus Points. Do people think he just haphazardly put some Focus Points down without really thinking about them or without wording them exactly how he intended to? Don't you think that after all this time F1 has been out and the online course has been available that Coach would have changed the wording if he felt the Focus Points and video didn't match up or didn't match what he intended us to do?

Riku Calderón

Again compelety agree with Keegan Y! Thanks for the points.

Michael Borregaard

To me, keeping glutes and shoulders off the floor means to make sure the body is slightly hollow - so that the abs are tensed and cannot assist the sit up. That forces you to sit up using the arms. Very simple.