This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Moving to next week

Started by Riz Q, September 17, 2013 · 5 Replies · 167 Views

Riz Q

Still early days, trying to keep to a strict routine but here is what I have achieved so far in the last few weeks. Please clarify my understanding on what to do next. Thanks

 

Week 1

 

Monday

 

FL/PE1 - 5x12r (Completed) (I could probably do 5x25r)

SPL/PE1 - 5x3 (Completed) (I could quite easily do 5x10r)

HBP/PE1 - 5x3 (Completed) (I could quite easily do 5x8r)

RC/PE1 - 5x3 (Completed) (Not easy...)

 

Tuesday

 

SL/PE1: - 5x12 (Not complete) (Struggling, but improving)

MN/PE1: - 3x3 (Not complete) (Poor technique, but improving) Really struggling on the IM here!

SLS/PE1: - 3x3r (Not complete) (Looks like I'm relying on momentum??)

 

 

Can I please clarify what to do now? Shall I load in FL/SPL/HBP/RC PE2/Week 1 and keep SL/MN/SLS PE1/Week 1? Would that be my next work out? 

 

 

Appreciated!

 

BTW, I feel like iron already! However, my work-life is getting in the way. Is it possible to just do the first few PE's from home?

 

Thanks

 

RQ

 

 

gohei_

I think you have got something wrong, you are not supposed to move to PE2 just because you can finish the first week on PE1.  Only do that if you master week 11 which is something like 5x15 reps or 5x60s for each movement.

Riz Q

Thanks gohei I have clearly misunderstood something.

So what do I do now that I've achieved week 1 PE1 FL/SPL/HBP/RC but have not achieved week 1 PE1 SL/MN/SLS.

Do I stay on week 1 until it's completely or do I move to week 2 PE1 FL/SPL/HBP/RC and STAY on week 1 for PE1 SL/MN/SLS ?

Please let me know

Also, can you confirm my understanding that I only move to PE2 when I have successfully completed week 11?

Finally could it be that the word 'weeks' is confusing? It could take me 8 months to get to week 11 on some PE1 routines...but that's ok yes?

Alll answers are extremely helpful so thanks.

gohei_

I'm not sure what the official word is but I myself will stay on the same week until I master the number of reps/sets for the movement that is giving me trouble. The movements that I finish my numbers I just move on to the next week.

 

You should not strive to keep everything on the same week. Treat each movement individually and go about them in different pace if you need to.

 

Yes, once week 11 is mastered (don't forget the iM) only then will you move on to week 1 of PE2 (or test mastery of PE2 first).

 

If it takes you 8 months to complete one PE1 then so be it. I am still on PE1 on most exercises and I have been doing F1 since it was released. In some cases it is mobility that is holding me back and other exercises are just really tough for me. As long as you can see progress (small or big) it will take as long as it needs to.

 

 

My approach is just writing down all the weeks (the sets and reps) for one movement and I aim to complete week 1, if I fail, I will continue aiming for those numbers until I make it (this can take days or weeks). Then I cross that week and move on to week 2 and continue in that fashion. I am on different weeks for most PEs but I keep the deload weeks in sync.

Joshua Slocum
rizqasim1 said:

So what do I do now that I've achieved week 1 PE1 FL/SPL/HBP/RC but have not achieved week 1 PE1 SL/MN/SLS.

Do I stay on week 1 until it's completely or do I move to week 2 PE1 FL/SPL/HBP/RC and STAY on week 1 for PE1 SL/MN/SLS ?

Each exercise advances independently of the other ones. Ideally you'd keep the deload weeks in sync, but if you're stuck on Week1 of PE1, you should just keep trying to get those numbers up.

Also, can you confirm my understanding that I only move to PE2 when I have successfully completed week 11?

This is correct. You must complete week 11 of an exercise to demonstrate mastery, and you should only move on to the next exercise after demonstrating mastery.

Finally could it be that the word 'weeks' is confusing? It could take me 8 months to get to week 11 on some PE1 routines...but that's ok yes?

Ideally you'd advance at a rate of one week per week.

Michael Borregaard
rizqasim1 said:

Do I stay on week 1 until it's completely or do I move to week 2 PE1 FL/SPL/HBP/RC and STAY on week 1 for PE1 SL/MN/SLS ?

Finally could it be that the word 'weeks' is confusing? It could take me 8 months to get to week 11 on some PE1 routines...but that's ok yes?

 

The way I read the exercise material - and the way I do it - is to follow a 'micro-cycle', which is a set of 4 consecutive weeks. There are three microcycles for each exercise: week 1-4, week 5-8 and week 9-12. So, even if I cannot fully complete, say, week 1, it just plod on to weeks 2, 3 and 4. That way, I maintain the structure with a deload week every 4 weeks. If I am not able to do the full number of rests in a week, I just do my best. I repeat the microcycle until I have completed all weeks (week 3, 7 and 11 are the hardest). So 'week' makes sense.

When it comes to progress, people start with very different levels of strength. I started at a low level, so I have repeated the 5-8 week microcycle for most PE1's several times, and probably will continue for some time (except SLS). I get the impression that this will even out as the program progresses, and the PE you are on more accurately describes your strength.