This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/SE1 Hawaiian Squat

Started by MT Nordic, September 15, 2013 · 7 Replies · 328 Views

MT Nordic

Hi all,

 

I've been working for over a month on my Hawaiian Squats.  I'm wondering if there's information as to where the leg should sit on the opposite leg.  I've been putting the foot of the opposite leg on the thigh of the squatting leg.  This has been very challenging for me to get down to parallel thigh with the ground.  However, I have discovered if i rest my leg just above the ankle on the opposite thigh it is quite a bit easier.  I can't tell from the video where his leg is resting.  Advice?

Keilani Gutierrez

his ankle is resting right over his knee, buddy :)

MT Nordic

You've got Better eyes than me! Thanks for your input. That'll be much easier than what I was trying to do. Doubtless it's helped me with my mobility, but I'll be glad to move on!

Keilani Gutierrez
MT Nordic said:

You've got Better eyes than me! Thanks for your input. That'll be much easier than what I was trying to do. Doubtless it's helped me with my mobility, but I'll be glad to move on!

nah, sometimes i look at the videos after a cycle and was missing something from an iM or whatever on a PE. it helps to get some input from other people.

 

when i originally tried them, i was doing them with my foot halfway up my thigh. totally wierd feeling. 

Jon Douglas
KeilaniG said:

nah, sometimes i look at the videos after a cycle and was missing something from an iM or whatever on a PE. it helps to get some input from other people.

 

when i originally tried them, i was doing them with my foot halfway up my thigh. totally wierd feeling. 

I like doing em a bit higher. More difficult with the stretch. I'm pretty sure that there's leeway here depending on your own preference though.

Keilani Gutierrez
Jon Douglas said:

I like doing em a bit higher. More difficult with the stretch. I'm pretty sure that there's leeway here depending on your own preference though.

yeah, i had better balance with the foot right behind the knee, but im sure as i get to that level, i'll be able to handle the stability and rotate my leg more outward

MT Nordic

Maybe while we're on the topic i'll put in a few things that helped me out, as i don't see other threads on this. I had a lot of trouble initially getting deep enough because of mobility restrictions in my hip of my supported leg. I found that using a low bench to sit down on helped a lot at making the range of motion easier. I also found that static holds in the lower position, while "cheating" with some hand support to keep me from falling over helped as a good stretch for the hip and making the ROM easier. I've also tried to sit cross-legged as much as i can through the day to improve this as well.

trw

I use static holds at the bottom too, but in my case it's to focus on achieving an adequate ankle stretch since that's what holds me back the most in these SLS progressions. I supplement with dedicated stretches as well.