I have a couple questions regarding Swivel Hips.
When my knee is going towards the other knee, is that a hip internal rotation action? What muscles would I perform myofascial release to make getting past swivel hips easier?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Alan Tseng, September 15, 2013 · 10 Replies · 407 Views
I have a couple questions regarding Swivel Hips.
When my knee is going towards the other knee, is that a hip internal rotation action? What muscles would I perform myofascial release to make getting past swivel hips easier?
calves, hamstrings, quads(down the middle, outside 45 degrees, inside 45 degrees), glutes and lower back
i'd go so far as to say make it a habit to do it, because today i had a session where tightness kept jumping from place to place, like for example, i never roll my hamstrings because when I do, i have no tightness but magically, after rolling some places thoroughly, some tenderness came out of nowhere.
Joshua Naterman refered to some information that comes in book or DVD form called "Anatomy trains" and it explains where the fascia structure lies and how it influences mobility, so if you get even the tiniest bit acquainted with it, you'll know where to roll or release when you have "X" symptom.
he isnt kidding, it really is some impressive stuff ![]()
and after doing all this, working swivel hips will take care of itself ![]()
i already have the book anatomy trains though.
i'm not looking for generalized areas. i'm looking for specific muscles that causes hip internal rotation (problem is i'm not sure if it is a hip internal rotation or not)
it isn't, it could be a number of things, ranging from scar tissue on your hip joint to inactive glutes, inactive abs, tight lower back and tight hip flexors (basically lower cross syndrome) and you'll need to roll where the tension is to start restoring a better quality tissue to improve the quality of the movement. (simple)
i already do myofascial release so foam rolling "generalized" areas don't help me.
lower cross syndrome = roll hip flexors/quads. i already know how to fix lower cross syndrome and that wasn't really what i was asking and as for inactive glutes, you don't really roll them to activate them, but rolling them do help if you want to achieve mobility in your hip rotators (because glute maximus, medius, minimus all contribute to hip rotation).
then you've done about all i can help you with besides actually doing the mobility exercise ![]()
ewethestuff, uses 10lb plates to help internally stretch his hip. you could look into that
sorry i'm not familiar with that one. where can i find more info about it
Alright thanks for your help
I really sucked at this at first and was so frustrated I tied a band to the wall and looped it over one of my legs to pull on it and give it a little extra range of motion. Shortly after starting to do this I was able to do swivel hips solo.
Not saying what I did is the best thing to do because imho strength led mobility is better than doing it this way, but it worked.