This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Novice Form Checks - H1 PE1 & iM

Started by Rob SFO, September 15, 2013 · 6 Replies · 375 Views

Rob SFO

I posted my F1(7) PE1 form check videos in the F1 forum here. Here's my H1 PE1 & iM.  

 

A question on the Static Seated Shoulder Flexion...How do I know when to move my hands closer? Should I be aiming for the body and arm angles shown in the course video, then once I can do that, move my hands closer?  It looks like the model athlete's arms are close to vertical with a forward body lean. 

 

Here's my video:

 

Vincearoo

How much does your bar weigh? You should be using a bar with a weight between 3-5kgs. Also, eventually you want to decrease your hands to shoulder width. Decrease the distance between your hands gradually.

Ravn

I can certainly relate to the huffing and puffing :)

Nash

Hi Robert,

 

Your form looks good to me when compared to the athlete in the video. The only thing with the SSSF is that the athlete seems to go a bit deeper.

 

> A question on the Static Seated Shoulder Flexion...How do I know when to move my hands closer? 

 

Personally, I used to move my hands closer whenever I felt like I could do it.  But after reading Coach's essay on shoulder dislocates ()%C2'>I changed my method. 

 

Here are the steps that I currently follow to figure out my starting width grip in general:

 

1) Warmup at a very wide grip. About 10 reps of whatever I'm trying to do.

2) Grab the bar at 1.5 shoulder width and slowly do the movement.

3) If I hear any popping or grinding, I immediately stop and add a couple of inches to my grip width.

4) I repeat #3 until there's no more popping or grinding. That's my starting width grip.

5) Every week or two, I try to shorten the width by a couple of inches making sure there's no popping/grinding nor pain.

 

I hope this helps!

 

 

-Nash

Rob SFO

Great info, thanks guys.

Although, if popping is an issue, I would fail mastery of "Getting out of Bed" PE1. Everything in my body cracks and pops no matter what I'm doing. :(

Nash

:) He he.  Same here. But popping from stressing the movement feels different than the normal everyday popping. 

James Hall

You Should be aiming for a grip as wide as your hands in a freestanding handstand and make sure it's your scapulae/humerus moving not an arch in your thoracic spine. Keep ribs pulled down and tight. There should be no rotation of the shoulder joint in pe1; Pure flexion. Your traps should be screaming