I'm trying to learn the front lever, back lever, and planche. How many times a week should I train each. Or should I just train them altogether for 4 days a week. I can hold a tucked front and back leve right now and almost an advanced tuck planche. I am having trouble with lifting my legs up in a back lever. Any suggestions?
Levers and planche
Started by Strength+skillz, September 13, 2013 · 4 Replies · 3,300 Views
I'm going to chime in here and say you should get F1 because someone will mention it eventually. Seriously, it's going to take you places you never dreamed of. Front Lever and Planche are just 2/7 of the main goals of the program.
Regardless, Killroy70 trained back lever, front lever, planche and L sit 4 days a week with pretty good results. Us lesser mortals might find it better to pair up back lever with your pulling work, planche with your pushing work, front lever with your leg work and L sit with your core work. Since volume is key to building these skills, it would probably be best to pick two of these for each workout and work them twice a week.
Look into reverse leg lifts (leg lifts in a headstand) and arch holds to sort out your lower back strength. Make sure your german hang is good (really good) before you spend too much time on back lever.
Oh yeah, and just buy F1 already.
Like Bipocni said, working the statics 4 times a week is too much. I also suggest to do them 2 times a week, and also add the L-sit in there so that you can pair two statics for a day. And if you haven't trained the German hang, you really should, it really helps for the BL, in fact it is often said that a 60sec German hang is a prerequisite for the BL.
boban said:....in fact it is often said that a 60sec German hang is a prerequisite for the BL.
Build up to this one slowly. Start with feet supported german hangs, and stick with them for a couple months at least.
Here's what I did:
Day 1: Front and back lever
Day 2: Pistol squats
Day 3: Planche and reverse planche
Day 4: Shrimp squats
Day 5: Front and back lever
Day 1 is upper body work. On day 2 I do something else whilst my upper body recovers such as pistols, frog jumps, whatever. On day 3 I return to doing upper body work and do some planches. Day 4 do something else whilst my arms recover from day 3's workout. Day 5 is start the circle again.