Beginner skills to learn/practice?

Started by blynch51, September 13, 2013 · 4 Replies · 2,047 Views

blynch51

Hey everyone!

 

I recently got access to an open gym a couple times a week now and am able to start to work on some of the basic skills.  So far, I have just been working on the very basics like cartwheels, roundoffs, etc.  Are there any other skills or exercises I can be doing simultaneously whether it be on rings, or parallel bars, etc.?  I would really appreciate any advice.

 

Thanks!

 

swhitley

Have a look online or in print for a list of beginner children gymnastic skill sheets or coaching guides and have a play with working through the level 1 skills, then move on to level 2 when you have drilled them so much you can do them in your sleep.

 

For example, the excellent drills and skills website. Choose your discipline and work through the Basics, and only when you can do them in your sleep, move up to level A. The basics are extremely (and sometimes surprisingly) important http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/Floor/Z

A printable tick off sheet I found after a quick search http://www.gym.net/useca/drills%20and%20skills/skills%20worksheets.pdf

 

If possible, get occasional advice from a coach or someone who has a better idea of what the skills should look like. It will help progress immensely. 

Cody Ward

Swings on every apparatus.

Bipocni

I remember hearing about some kind of required routines at the various levels and that 1-3 would be a good starting point, but I google searched it and it turned up nothing.  I just remember blairbob posting about it a few years back...

Blairbob

 there really arent any l1-2 routines. L3 is a watered down l4 routine.

 

 If you search routines on youtube you can find the current l4 and up routines and probably the routines of the last 2 quaddrenniums as well.

 

Basic swings on all apparatus.

 

Front/rear straddle in support on pommel besides stridr swings and mushroom circles.

 

Look up the threads on ring swings

 

Basic high bar swing and cast to HS

 

Swing to HS on Pb, basket swing, and lovely upper arm swing