Acrobatics- Tips

Started by kombatmaster7, February 18, 2009 · 2 Replies · 2,145 Views

kombatmaster7

I am about to purchase a DVD bundle from stadion.com about acrobatics, front and back sommersaults, handsprings, wall jumping, areials, etc.

Here's the link:

http://www.stadion.com/bundle_acrobats.html

I believe that Kurz has legit products at reasonable prices and already have a friend who has tried out the product.

In a few months he has the ability to do all the flips and skills in the DVD without having any acrobatic or gymnastic experience ever.

He is 24.

My question is:

What will I need as I am learning these skills? (Will I need a camera, spotter, equipment, etc.)

Thanks,

-Kombat

Blairbob

A video camera and youtube account would be good if you are looking for constructive criticism.

Something soft to land on is a good idea. Old mattress or futon work well.

Need a better idea of what exact skills you're working on. Spotter might be a good idea for back handspring and back flips.

kombatmaster7

Thanks Blairbob,

These skills are taught in DVD 1

Cartwheel on two hands and on one hand

Round-off

Front handspring

Back handspring, also called a flic flac (both the gymnastic version and the breakdancing version, with two different ways of learning each)

Aerial cartwheel (a cartwheel without putting the hands on the floor)

Front somersault, also called a front flip

Back somersault, also called a back flip

These skills are taught in DVD 2

CONTENT OF THE WORKOUT

General Warm-up and Stretching

Specific Warm-up:

Headstands

Handstands

Kips

Rolls

Main Part (Tumbling)—here you will see how expert instructors teach and correct people of disparate ability the following skills:

Cartwheel

Roundoff

Butterfly

Front Headspring and Front Handspring

Back Handspring on mini trampoline

Back Handspring on the floor

Aerial Cartwheel

Front Tucked Somersault (Front Flip)

Back Tucked Somersault (Back Flip)

Back Tucked Somersault off the wall

Tumbling Runs

PLUS A BONUS:

A p.e. lesson showing how to teach a handstand. The handstand is the prerequisite skill for learning tumbling moves such as cartwheel, roundoff, front handspring, and back handspring.

I'm planning to buy both in the near future.

P.S.- I am curious on how many times a week, minimum and maximum, one should practice doing flips and stuff like this?

P.P.S. Is it optimal to practice everyday or is there a magic number of days a week one should practice these skills?