Foam Roller, best size?

Started by wheezer, September 12, 2013 · 16 Replies · 7,823 Views

wheezer

I'm going to get a foam roller to increase flexibility all over the body.

Wondering what the best size would be? I'm 5"11, 165lb. Someone mentioned 12 inches but don't know if bigger/smaller would be better.

P5yx

i did purchase the big rumble roller (original version). Totally worth the price. There is no other foam roller.

Keilani Gutierrez

different areas will call for different types, if you get a standard roller, you'll be good. 

 

for areas where you can't use a roller, you can use a tennis ball, baseball, golf ball. 

 

have you looked into these? http://www.rumbleroller.com/

 

I've been wanting to get something specific, because i've been using a barrel from my Indo Board set up to roll on. i've heard good things about rumble rollers and i'll probably get one :)

 

oh! something i noticed, i bought a foam roller and it quickly lived out it's usefulness. the softer they are, the more you kind of grow out of them as you're doing soft tissue work. i'd get one more on the firmer side, because then you can control how much weight you bear down on it instead of buying a softer roller and then it isnt as effective anymore.

Ravn

This foam rolling frenzy is getting a bit out of hand! (Was my first thought. Then I searched PubMed, and apparently foam rolling does actually work. Damn it, more stuff on the wish list :( )

chobbs
Ravn said:

This foam rolling frenzy is getting a bit out of hand! (Was my first thought. Then I searched PubMed, and apparently foam rolling does actually work. Damn it, more stuff on the wish list :( )

 

You really don't need to get anything else. I have used barbells, my clubbells, rolling pins, etc. They don't work any less effectively than all of the specialized tools I bought believing the hype on the packaging. :) The only real benefit I can see is if their size works out better for an area you are trying to roll.

 

- Chris

Jon Douglas

My (field) hockey ball is doing me good, although i don't use it as much as i probably should....

TANSTAAFL

I'll toss another vote for the full size Rumble Roller(firm version). Firstly, Yuri endorses it...which is usually enough. Secondly, I tried his out at a past seminar and it was pretty much golden rays of beauteous light in the form of intense spasms, followed by sweet relief.

Keilani Gutierrez
TANSTAAFL said:

(...) and it was pretty much golden rays of beauteous light in the form of intense spasms, followed by sweet relief.(...)

that's what she said. :lol:

Joshua Slocum

wheezer said:

I'm going to get a foam roller to increase flexibility all over the body.

Wondering what the best size would be? I'm 5"11, 165lb. Someone mentioned 12 inches but don't know if bigger/smaller would be better.

 

 

12 is probably a bit big. I think 6 is the normal size, and I don't see why it wouldn't work for someone your size. Personally I'd recommend the rumble roller if you can afford it. 

 

KeilaniG said:

that's what she said. :lol:

To be honest, sometimes when i'm using a foam roller I make sounds that are not exactly PG-rated...

FredInChina
KeilaniG said:

that's what she said. :lol:

LOL - that never gets old! :D

spinelli

I got myself a Lacrosse ball for a few pounds and it's really great. Gets into all the small areas on the back and hips nicely. It's a little trickier to use on calves and such but it works well enough for me :)

As an aside how often should one foam roll and when should it be done in a workout? At the minute I break it up and do a little before to loosen up and then a lot after my F1/H1 workout then Stretch according to Kit's book, is this a wise course?

Ravn
Joshua Slocum said:

12 is probably a bit big. I think 6 is the normal size

Yeah, that's what she... Oh, nevermind.

bigB

I prefer balls:

 

- You have a range of pressure you can apply due to their oblong shape.

- You can play with them. 

- You can adjust the air pressure

 

I've used American Football, rugby and lacrosse balls to good effect.

 

I also have a Black and Decker orbital buffer that turns stiff fascia into soft goo. 

 

Words are fun. ;)

Keilani Gutierrez
spinelli said:

I got myself a Lacrosse ball for a few pounds and it's really great. Gets into all the small areas on the back and hips nicely. It's a little trickier to use on calves and such but it works well enough for me :)

As an aside how often should one foam roll and when should it be done in a workout? At the minute I break it up and do a little before to loosen up and then a lot after my F1/H1 workout then Stretch according to Kit's book, is this a wise course?

what i do is either work on it same day as workout or after. on upper body days, you can roll your upper body, spine, etc and on lower body days you can roll hip flexors, hamstring, calves, shins, etc (im doing it like that to get ground covered and to also save time)
Bissen

I made my own from a PVC-pipe and some yoga-ish matt + tape; works pretty well, and was super cheap. Less than 18$!

 

I've tried a regular roller (i.e. not-rumble), and I think it works just as fine.

Joshua Slocum
bigB said:

I also have a Black and Decker orbital buffer that turns stiff fascia into soft goo. 

 

 

Yes. These are amazing.