This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Adding some extra tendon preparation work? Good Idea?

Started by PhilTaylor, September 12, 2013 · 12 Replies · 233 Views

PhilTaylor

Hi,

 

what do you guys thinks of the idea of adding some extra preparation work?

 

At the moment I focus strictly on F1/H1 but often I have some extra energy to play with.

I do some HS Wallruns and HS Wallholds for about 30sec 3 sets for shoulder and traps grow and its feels kinda good.

But everytime I try to add something like back lever or muscle up my elbow just cant take it, so I stopped doing these kind of moves.

 

A tuck back lever is no problem, but as soon as I flat my back my right elbow just feels like it would snap in the next second ( it didnt really hurt, it just feels really weird... but I stopped doing them because I want to avoid an injury.... did the same at planche training and it just throw me back so much.... :(:facepalm: )

 

I already do german hangs and support holds a few times a week, because they are good for my elbows.

Some other preparation exercises special for the arm tendons would be cool, maybe you can give me a hint ;):)

 

Thanks! :)

 

 

 

 

Jon Douglas

How is your F1 straight arm work and rope climb progression? Rc/pe6 really helped me iron out my muscleup transition

PhilTaylor

On Rope climb I scaled back to RC/PE3 because I wanted to fix my form and so on. I rushed trought the reps and now I focus on the tempo and range a lot more. ( gives me some nice burn in my upper/middle back) With the tempo I used normaly, I passed RC/PE 5, but I wasnt happy with the form and so on.

 

And on the Straddle Planche I´m at SC/PE1, I can do a 30 sec planche lean, but I want to get some more lean and I´m now doing 2 sets of Planche Leans for 10sec+ and normal sPL work.

 

I´m not able to do a muscle up, because my elbows give out everytime I try.

And is it a good idea to do negativs, when I just kinda drop from the bottom of the dip to the top of the pull up ?

Joshua Slocum

Tendons are not something that can be rushed. They develop slowly. Adding a bunch of work on top of F1 is more likely to hurt than help. 

PhilTaylor

I wasn´t sure about that so I ask for your advice.

 

I knew they develop slowly and thats why I thought maybe I could start building them now, where I have some extra energy.

I thought about adding support holds at the end of my workout twice a week or german hang, this wont be that much extra work and will help my body to addapt.

 

Did I get that right or should I drop this idea and focus more on HS things and stretching ?

Joshua Slocum

The work in Foundation and Handstand is already stimulating tendon development. Adding in German hangs and support holds isn't going to give you much that you're not already getting. Given that muscle-ups are enough to irritate your elbows, my recommendation would be to stick with the absolute basics for now. 

PhilTaylor

Okay thanks :)

I will drop the extra work then and focus on some more basics and mobility

 

Amazing community! :) 

Ravn

What joshua said.

Your tendons need two things: progressive overload and time. Foundation series provide both, so just hang in there.

PhilTaylor

One more info I can hold an advance tuck planche without elbow problems.

Is it common to have such difference with tendon preparation for different activities?

 

I think I overthink the whole subject a bit, but I will trust this great product that it will build up my tendons for harder work over time!

William

you must be very careful with muscle ups, especially at your stage. they can damage your elbow joint very fast!

William
PhilTaylor said:

One more info I can hold an advance tuck planche without elbow problems.

Is it common to have such difference with tendon preparation for different activities?

 

I think I overthink the whole subject a bit, but I will trust this great product that it will build up my tendons for harder work over time!

Have to do the same, was already doing RTO Dips, maybe with bad form and now i m starting with Foundation to be safer in movements and so on. so keep hangin on like i need to and many others :)

PhilTaylor

Yeah I will just follow F1 and do the extra handstand work.

I know I will be stronger at the end, when I took enough time to develop a solid foundation!

And with all the help, it´s even more motivational :)

William
PhilTaylor said:

 

I know I will be stronger at the end, when I took enough time to develop a solid foundation!

 

i notice, that every new member here thinks this way after 2-3 days reading some threads, posts etc and everyone has the same questions and it ends always that way, really cool :)