Planche Rings

Started by Yaad Mohammad, September 11, 2013 · 6 Replies · 5,074 Views

Yaad Mohammad

I have to questions about the planche on the rings. I tried a straddle planche and I could hold it but I really have no idea how to do a false grip to make it easier. Beside that, I have a really hard time protracting my scapula while in any planche variation. Are there any good exercises to train this protraction on rings? Thanks in advance!

Daniel Burnham

Leans on rings are how I got a straddle planche to carry over to rings. Focus on really protracting.

Daniel Burnham

I left out the most important part.  Make sure you NEVER let your arms bend in the leans.  You need to feel that lock and the hold from the shoulders.

Joshua Slocum

False grip doesn't really work in a planche, so don't worry about trying to do it. I'd recommend spending the majority of your time at the moment in an easier variation. Leans and tuck planches will help you build the strength to hold the position with proper protraction.

Yaad Mohammad
Daniel Burnham said:

I left out the most important part.  Make sure you NEVER let your arms bend in the leans.  You need to feel that lock and the hold from the shoulders.

That speaks for itself! It's not a planche when the arms aren't locked!

 

Joshua Slocum said:

False grip doesn't really work in a planche, so don't worry about trying to do it. I'd recommend spending the majority of your time at the moment in an easier variation. Leans and tuck planches will help you build the strength to hold the position with proper protraction.

Alright, good to know that it doesn't make a big difference. Does it help with malteses? Because it did help with the iron cross and seeing as the maltese is a combination of the planche and the iron cross it only sounds logical it would. If so, how would one do a false grip with the maltese?

Daniel Burnham

False grip helps in Maltese yes. It is commonly performed with a false grip in competition.

gogy

How to achieve planche pushups on rings and what are good exercises to achieve great planche hold. I practice on outdoor rings 4 times a week :)