Putting my wrist in the position of wrist stretch 2 causes pain/tightness, so I cannot do the stretch.
By the way, I've been experiencing pain on my medial epicondylitis the past few weeks, are these two related?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Alan Tseng, September 10, 2013 · 13 Replies · 342 Views
Putting my wrist in the position of wrist stretch 2 causes pain/tightness, so I cannot do the stretch.
By the way, I've been experiencing pain on my medial epicondylitis the past few weeks, are these two related?
Probably ![]()
Medial is on the inside of your elbow, right? I definitely felt lots of strain when I first attempted wrist stretches when I had golfer's elbow. Take it easy, take it slow. Rehab it now, before it gets out of control.
Vincearoo said:Medial is on the inside of your elbow, right? I definitely felt lots of strain when I first attempted wrist stretches when I had golfer's elbow. Take it easy, take it slow. Rehab it now, before it gets out of control.
i dont know how to rehab it
Hmms... have a go at SMR with a lacrosse ball and check out youtube for the wrist sequence that Kit Laughlin added... you'll likely get some relief. Dont stop at your forearm with the SMR either... work right up your arm and do your shoulder. It wasn't until I started working around my scapula that my tennis/golfers elbow went away.
Failing that... get yourself to see a physio...
You are stretching too hard. Decrease the intensity of your work.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Stretching + pain = stop!
Joint pain should never occur when stretching. I teach it as push to then tension not through it. There is nothing to be gained from it. Stretching takes time and patience, it is far from strength work.
Coach Sommer said:You are stretching too hard. Decrease the intensity of your work.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
How do I decrease the intensity? Simply putting my wrist in that starting position hurts (I can't even do the back and forth rocking shown in the video)
Definitely agree with SMR. Make sure to roll the heck out of your forearms, too.Richard Hamilton said:Hmms... have a go at SMR with a lacrosse ball and check out youtube for the wrist sequence that Kit Laughlin added... you'll likely get some relief. Dont stop at your forearm with the SMR either... work right up your arm and do your shoulder. It wasn't until I started working around my scapula that my tennis/golfers elbow went away.
Failing that... get yourself to see a physio...
I've also had amazing results with a voodoo band. Check out Kelley Starrett on google for a voodoo band sequence. That thing is a godsend.
And if you can't even get into the starting position then you really need to take some time off and fix yourself.
Hmms said:How do I decrease the intensity? Simply putting my wrist in that starting position hurts (I can't even do the back and forth rocking shown in the video)
You are injured; rest for a week or two (or as long as needed until the pain subsides), maybe doing SMR as advised.
When you restart, do stop the stretch at the point where you think it might become painful if you continue [stop before there is pain]
Good luck ![]()
FredInChina said:You are injured; rest for a week or two (or as long as needed until the pain subsides), maybe doing SMR as advised.
When you restart, do stop the stretch at the point where you think it might become painful if you continue [stop before there is pain]
Good luck
For me, the pain started 2 months after I started doing this. However, even then I wasn't able to do the stretch in the first place.
What I'm worried about is that even if I started resting for a couple weeks, the pain will come back again because I haven't dealt with the actual reason of what caused the injury in the first place (and in this case I'm wondering if it is because I am so inflexible in my wrist flexors that my medial epicondyle is compensating)
So I have another question, this time related to my elbow.
Since I have Golfer's elbow, I am pretty sure it is because of my pulling work.
So if I rest, does that mean I can do straight arm work/pushing work or does this mean a complete rest with zero F1 work
If it hurts or aggravates it, don't do it.
If it doesn't, it is probably safe to do it. ![]()
That is, pulling likely nope - pushing likely yes - legs & core, yes - straight arm, it depends, you might want to use blocks to put your hands on (and for pushing too)
If a wrist stretch hurts too much on the floor, try it up against a wall, like all the wrist strength progressions start. That way you're in complete control of how much pressure to apply.
Welcome to the tendonitis club... Don't complete rest unless the injury is acute (just happened). You need to keep moving. Tendonitis will fade away then just reappear at full force when you next exercise if you do complete rest. Switch to high volume, low intensity easy stuff for a while (think of it as working on better form or something to make it not such an ego destroyer). The only apparent 'cure' I know of for medial and lateral epicondylitis (and patella + achilles tendonitis) is careful slow eccentric motions. These and massage seem to have cured many climbers. I haven't tried them personally properly yet as I keep forgetting to do them every day