Hey guys just wanted to make sure that this is a correct front lever.
Started by Frahebede, September 8, 2013 · 13 Replies · 2,795 Views
Hey guys just wanted to make sure that this is a correct front lever.
Your arms are bent. Get that fixed.
And you are not horizontal in FL.
Yeah your arms are bent, but I've only seen about 2 people (on YouTube) do it with perfectly straight arms.
Yeah, straightening the arms is very very difficult! It just seems impossible even when I focus only on straightening them. But ill work on it and I think the first 2 videos are close to horizonal but the last one is above for sure.
To add to the above, pointing your toes will make it look much nicer.
Jono said:Yeah your arms are bent, but I've only seen about 2 people (on YouTube) do it with perfectly straight arms.
Sure about that? I bet a lot of people here can do it with perfectly straight arms.
Yaad Mohammad said:Sure about that? I bet a lot of people here can do it with perfectly straight arms.
I still remain pretty sure - at least that's what I've seen from the posts in this Digital Coaching section, as well as YouTube videos of people's end of SSC strength testing (implying they're associated with being on here), and street workout videos. Everyone thinks they're doing straight arms, but they aren't. I can do it with what looks like straight arms,but it's not - when even to the naked eye it looks straight. When I do it with perfect form, I'm like 2 progressions behind.I'm not sure why straight arms and FL isn't thought much of when compared with straight arms and PL. Surely the attention to detail should be the same for both?
I am sure.
A front lever with straight arms is the only acceptable standard here at GB. Whether or not someone chooses to accept/pursue that standard is however a personal choice. I can assure you however that no one will ever earn a GB certification with less than excellent form.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Frahebede said:Yeah, straightening the arms is very very difficult! It just seems impossible even when I focus only on straightening them. But ill work on it and I think the first 2 videos are close to horizonal but the last one is above for sure.
Go back to a progression where you can do it with straight arms and work your way up. I think for most people new to straight arm training, it is hard for them to lock the arms if they start the exercise with bent arms like what you were doing by pulling up to FL. You can try starting in an inverted hang with straight arms and lower to FL while keeping the arms locked. If you find it hard to keep the arms locked then you can also actively extend your triceps as hard as you can to keep them locked.
You can tell if the arms are locked when you feel stress on the elbows (it's a distinct feeling) and the arms are bent if you feel absolutely no stress on the elbows and the biceps will be puffed up and working in the FL if arms are bent.
I'm also sure that the GB standard advocates perfection on everything, and I love that, as that's what I try to pursue also
But I'm just speaking based on some of the videos I've seen where people showed their strength testing after doing SSCs. All I remember seeing was slightly bent arm FLs - especially when transitioning from flat tuck to straddle/1-legged. Though, obviously, this doesn't represent a whole population.
Forgive me, since I've already asked this before, but shouldn't the correct form for a FL be with actively tensed triceps/locked elbows and relaxed biceps? The only reply I got last time was "just keep the arms straight", which may be the reason why the majority of what I've seen were doing it wrong
Hey is this correct now?
just point ur toes.and i think its good just keep practising it
Can't really tell if your arms are locked or not in that video, but if it's locked then the form is good and just point your toes more like what DiTi said. You should have relaxed biceps and constant pressure on the elbows if the arms are locked.