This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP PE2 Form (Arms)

Started by Sven Ravnstag, September 8, 2013 · 3 Replies · 127 Views

Sven Ravnstag

Is it proper form to strongly externally rotate the arms (I think of it as screwing the hands into the ground; though the hands don't actually move, I find it to be an effective cue) at the lockout of each rep?  I've actually found that this external rotation feels good throughout the entire descend/ascent/lockout because it keeps the elbows in to the body.  

 

It also makes the exercise significantly more difficult, which is why I keep hitting the mastery reps only to find that if I really implement this cue I struggle with even 4X12reps.  

 
Also, on the descent (with the elbows in mentioned above), I've been using a cue of moving back towards my feet on the descent, I sort of backwards slide during the negative so that the back of my hands almost touch the top portion of the anterior delt.  It's a little hard to describe, but like the external rotation it seems to tighten up the movement while also making it significant more difficult.  Am I over thinking things here, or is this just getting maximum return on my basics?
Bipocni

Yeah, external rotation is correct.  You should try to have your elbow pits facing forwards.  Make sure you perform the reps slowly, don't snap your elbow into position.

 

Other nifty form cues include contracting the glutes and extending your neck.  Oh, and the scapula should be depressed.

 

In the demonstration video the athletes fingertips are level with the anterior delts.  I believe you're supposed to maintain a vertical forearm the whole time, but I'm not certain.

Sven Ravnstag

I see.  Thanks for the info.  I just tried the external rotation with vertical elbows and it felts pretty good.  Sort of a middle ground of what a was doing before; still very clean/tight but a little more natural. 

 

Thanks!

Aadil Siddiqi

The forearms should stay vertical