I've been reading Kelly Starretts book, and the squat section is starting to bug me.
1. The way I've always squatted I've had my feet directly under my shoulders, toes slightly turned out, with my knees tracking outwards over the toes. This for me is the most stable and natural squat position. I can sit deep in it for a very long length of time. The only problem I've had with it is that my pelvis tucks under at the very bottom of the ROM which would be a problem if I had a bar on my back, but I don't do weighted squats.
2. Anyway, Kelly makes a good case for keeping your toes pointing forward (due to torque mostly) however he recommends a slightly wider than shoulder width foot placement along with actively pushing out the knees. In all the demonstration pictures the knees are further out than the feet (also in the back squat pictures the model has turned out feet, but we'll ignore that.)
Problem is, this creates a real uncomfortable sensation in my ankle and I'm pretty sure it compromises ankle integrity. I'm not sure of the specific term for pivoting the joint like that but it's not a good idea to load them up in that position, I'm sure of that. Hasn't everyone heard the knees have to track over the toes?
3. So the only commonsense alternative I can think of to keep my feet pointing forward is to draw my quads up into my abdomen, which is a difficult position to balance in and requires a lot of active flexibility as well as dorsiflexion. I don't feel like it's as structurally stable as my previous position, and would probably compromise me if I had a heavy load on my back. But, I can generate more torque. In my experience with external rotation during pushups, more torque is always better, so I'm loath to give it up now that I've discovered it.
So of the three squat positions, which one is the best? Watching O-lifters snatch they have the knees very far apart, and they sit down between them, like in the first two squat variations. They also wouldn't have to worry about the arch of their foot caving in or valgus knee collapse if their feet were facing forward. However, the weird stress on the ankle makes me hesitate. Also, I know the closer foot / knee position of the third squat variation is closer to a pistol squat.
This question is not just what is best for me personally but anyone else out there.