Strength Gain

Started by colcio, February 17, 2009 · 5 Replies · 2,696 Views

colcio

Hi

I've red about one of the progression for strength gains and indurance used by strong man competitors, and I was wondering if i could use this progresion in gymnastics as well.

It goes like that.

During first week You perform 3 sets of 3 very heavy reps, week2- you perform 3 sets of 5 very heavy reps,(you have to decrease the weight slightly,otherwise you will not push the same weight as in the first week for 5 reps) week-3 3 sets of 8 reps,week 4- we go up to 3 sets of 12 reps,week 5- 15 reps light weight ,dynamic repetitions.week 5- is the rest week or very easy recovery week.Than we start again with 3 reps making the exercise heavier then in week 1,etc.

Thanks

David

colcio

Sorry the rest week would be week 6

David Picó García
first week You perform 3 sets of 3 very heavy reps

It's sound very interesting.-

That means just 3 sets in the whole week?

JL

I've seen many programs that taper from higher reps to lower reps (like in stereotypical linear periodization), but never from max strength to strength endurance, then back to max strength. I'm assuming this is worked at at least 2x per week, because I'm not so sure anyone would prescribe a lower frequency than that. I think the intent of this program is suited more toward building strength endurance than pure 1 RM. Since, progressions are like a 1 RM you have yet to achieve, I think this not the most efficient program. If I think about it, working from high intensity to low intensity is what I did with my pistol progression, which turned into a regression. I went like three weeks before I noticed my strength in the lower positions had declined. On this program, if you are varying body position to adjust intensity, you are leaving the hardest progression behind for more than a month. Strength is specific at joint angles, if they aren't worked, they decline. This may be a program used to help strongman boost their endurance before a meet so they don't gas between events. That's my take.

colcio

It means 3 sets of 4 very heavy different exercises in each workout done 3 times a week.

serotonin said:
first week You perform 3 sets of 3 very heavy reps

It's sound very interesting.-

That means just 3 sets in the whole week?

colcio

Ok,Thanks.So How long would you work with 3 heavy reps? before moving to 5 heavy reps and 8 or more if ever.Do you guys ever do for example sets of 8-10 weighted muscle-ups or bulgarian dips? Thanks.

JL said:
I've seen many programs that taper from higher reps to lower reps (like in stereotypical linear periodization), but never from max strength to strength endurance, then back to max strength. I'm assuming this is worked at at least 2x per week, because I'm not so sure anyone would prescribe a lower frequency than that. I think the intent of this program is suited more toward building strength endurance than pure 1 RM. Since, progressions are like a 1 RM you have yet to achieve, I think this not the most efficient program. If I think about it, working from high intensity to low intensity is what I did with my pistol progression, which turned into a regression. I went like three weeks before I noticed my strength in the lower positions had declined. On this program, if you are varying body position to adjust intensity, you are leaving the hardest progression behind for more than a month. Strength is specific at joint angles, if they aren't worked, they decline. This may be a program used to help strongman boost their endurance before a meet so they don't gas between events. That's my take.