This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bit Confused

Started by M K Mossop, September 7, 2013 · 16 Replies · 610 Views

M K Mossop

Ok so I know this is probably laid out very clearly for most people, but I have a tendency of looking too closely at the details.

 

So anyway, I've been doing the WODs for a long time now, so I assume I won't have to start at week 1. So basically I find where in the weekly workouts I fit? For example I try week 1 and I can do it perfectly, move to week 2, 3, etc until I find my approximate level? Also what happens when you get to week 12?

 

Also how does HS1 integrate into this? Can you do F1 and HS1 workouts concurrently? Say I'm doing 5 FS1 workouts per week, how would I fit the HS1 workouts in?

gohei_

You start with week 11 (mastery week) for all the first progressions (PE1) and the mobility elements that are paired. If you can do them with flying colors then the next workout day you do the same for PE2 and so on. When you find a progression you can not do mastery of you choose your starting week depending on how well you did on the mastery test. Either week 1,5 or 9.

Yes you can do the H1 and F1 at the same time. There are a few examples of how you can arrange the workouts in the H1 course.

M K Mossop

Ah ok great thanks the helps a lot.

So do the mobility elements always line up with the strength element? It seems like I'd be quite a bit further ahead in the mobility elements than in the strength elements... although they're probably harder than they look.

wheezer

Yeah that's pretty standard. The strengh part can often hold up the mobility, or vice versa. But still, treat the pair as a package, and don't move on until both PE and iM are mastered. They are both prerequisites as prehab for later progressions.

Jon Douglas
M K Mossop said:

Ah ok great thanks the helps a lot.

So do the mobility elements always line up with the strength element? It seems like I'd be quite a bit further ahead in the mobility elements than in the strength elements... although they're probably harder than they look.

It seems this may be an advantage :) quicker to build strength than fix a severely limited ROM. Keep em paired~

M K Mossop
wheezer said:

Yeah that's pretty standard. The strengh part can often hold up the mobility, or vice versa. But still, treat the pair as a package, and don't move on until both PE and iM are mastered. They are both prerequisites as prehab for later progressions.

 

Really? You should stay stuck in the strength part if the mobility isn't done? Not move on with the strength and keep the same mobility movement?

 

I just did the first mastery test. I did mastery on HBP and RC, but not quite on FL and sPL.

 

On FL I averaged holds of about 40 seconds... so should I start at week 9?

 

On sPL I averaged about 9 reps... so would this also be week 9? Or 5 for both?

 

So do I now perform a mastery test for HBP/PE2 and RC/PE2?

Jon Douglas

Yes, maintain the pair as a two halves of a single exercise. Don't move on until both halves are mastered.

If you averaged sets of 40 seconds for bent hollows, how are you going to start at sets of 48 quickly rising to 60? Seems clear you'll need to go to week five for that, unless your average was skewed by very high and low numbers. If you feel this is just too long, complete weeks 5-9 and re-test for mastery either just before or just after you deload.

Sounds like week 5 for spl too. But you're the one who knows how many quality reps you did; if wk9 is ok do week 9. You could also count total reps you completed and compare them to total reps in the table to figure out what you can do.

Lastly yes, go ahead and test your mastery on pe2's for those. Well done :)

Riku Calderón

Don´t be too hasty. I just started again and came back from injury rich summer. I did the test and were able to do mastery in everything else than FL/ PE1 and SL/PE1.

 

Now i started these in week 5 and still tart the rest from week 9 just to have good cycle on everything. I think I will maintain this with all the coming elements as well. For me at least every movement is totally new. So I really want to learn the movement well. Not just pass (but i still want to be hasty also to be honest :D )

M K Mossop

Ok great thanks for the help both of you :). I'll start at week 5 for each of those.

 

Jon Douglas said:

Yes, maintain the pair as a two halves of a single exercise. Don't move on until both halves are mastered.
If you averaged sets of 40 seconds for bent hollows, how are you going to start at sets of 48 quickly rising to 60? Seems clear you'll need to go to week five for that, unless your average was skewed by very high and low numbers.

 

 

Oops... duh... I didn't even look at what week 9 was, lol.

 

Also how does my form for the scapular shrugs look? I didn't think it felt great as I was doing it, but it looks pretty good on video I think.

 

 

Also, in mobility movements that only use one arm or side of the body (i.e. MN / PE1 / iM) do we alternate which arm or side we use each time?

M K Mossop

Ooops... double post.

 

Also, are there any particular leg stretches which are recommended for moving up to manna?

Riku Calderón

In the video we dont see your elbows. The back looks nice but do you have locked elbows the whole time?

M K Mossop

Yes elbows are locked.

M K Mossop

So once we complete mastery for a specific level do we test our mastery the next week on the next level, or just start straight at week one?

Keegan Y

Test mastery. If you are successful with both the PE/SE and IM, then next time test mastery on the next exercise pair and so on. If you are unsuccessful, then start at either week 1, 5, or 9 depending on how you did. This is all laid out pretty clearly in the course.

M K Mossop

I have a question about scheduling. I don't like the build in scheduler cause I want to make my own schedule an extended period... not just the next workout.

 

I'm not sure how to create a schedule for exercises for which there are only 10 reps to mastery. For 15 reps I know, because it's laid out in the initial schedule, i.e. week one workout one you do 3x3r, next time 3x3r, then 5x3r, 3x6r, 3x6r, and so on. What does this progression look like for exercises where mastery is only 10 reps? Is this laid out somewhere and I'm just missing it?

 

Also could someone take a look at my sPL1 form? I thought it was alright, but I video taped it and it doesn't look great. But I haven't seen this exercise from a side view so I'm not sure... maybe it's supposed to look like this? On the video I posted a few posts back it looks ok. I still really feel like I'm working my back though. I can do mastery like this... should I move on or start over?

 

gohei_

If you look through the Mastery section in the course you will find how to schedule all different mastery sets.

You are piking quite a lot in the video, however I do not know how much is allowed, but it could be something to think about.

M K Mossop
gohei_ said:

If you look through the Mastery section in the course you will find how to schedule all different mastery sets.

 

Oh wow... didn't notice this section... that helps a lot.