This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Dip elements

Started by ChrisUK, September 6, 2013 · 4 Replies · 230 Views

ChrisUK

Hello all,

 

I have been working the dip elements in the HBP the last month now. What I have been doing, since I lack stall bars, is performing them between two high chairs. I have been tucking in my legs for PE5 and will be moving on to PE6 soon.

 

My question is, is it counterproductive to be performing the HBP dip elements with tucked legs? 

 

My reasoning is that since the final form Hollow back press has the body aligned with itself completely straight the whole way through the motion (Except the arms) that by doing the dips with tucked knees I am not working the positions well.

 

Finally, my college gym does not have stall bars, and our gymnastics team goes elsewhere to train (I asked to use their stall bars only to find my university wasn't funding the team) so I would be hard pressed (:P) to figure out how to continue progressing in HBP.

 

Thank you,

 

Chris.

B1214N

You're over-analyzing this with the HBP body line. Tucking the legs when doing dips can be uncomfortable, but as long as you are able to get full ROM and with the elbows tucked in then there isn't much difference. Tucking your legs can move your COG slightly in front of you or slightly behind you (if you move the hips back) which can make the dip slightly harder in both cases.

Jon Douglas

I wouldn't stress too much, we train in as best conditions as we can. Just don't cross your legs :) and make sure you go all the way down, even if you have to get into a low L to get there

Joshua Slocum

See if your university has a wood shop you can use. Learn to use it. Make yourself a set of stall bars. And a set of parallel bars to go with it. 

ChrisUK

Sorry for the late reply. 

 

I appreciate the feedback, and I won't worry so much about the straightness of it. 

 

@Joshua. Thats actually a good idea, I'll look in to because they must have something.

 

Also, I am going to my universities club gymnastics info session tomorrow. While I do not want to join the team, but rather advance my training on my own (plus a hectic schedule of muay thai/bjj and pledging a fraternity :P) I am hoping they will let me use their equipment.