Stall Bars

Started by Timophes, September 6, 2013 · 3 Replies · 2,838 Views

Timophes

Greetings all,

 

I was thinking about purchasing foundation series and from what i've read I need a stall bars for some exercises.

 

I was thinking about using this DIY : http://imgur.com/a/I0ZaW

 

The problem is that I'm afraid that with pine wood it won't hold or I'm afraid that it will eventually break with the whole bodyweight. I've checked a couple of place that sell dowel (rona, bmr, home depot) but I can't find anything else than pine wood.

 

Can someone suggest me what type of wood would be good and not to expensive that will make a solid stall bars and where I could get them (online or not)?

 

I'm from Canada,Quebec.

 

 

Sorry for my poor grammar.

Thanks you!

Timophes

FredInChina

Pine is okay - 1.5-1.75" dia - check that the grain is straight along the length, no cracks, no wood compression and no large knots (less than 3mm is okay) :)

Timophes

Okay, thank you. The seller told me that the pine dowel could handle only about 50 pounds. It is for this reason that I wasn't sure if pine was good enough.

 

 

Thanks!

Timophes

chobbs

Unless the grain runs out partway through the dowel and isn't straight 50 pounds is a rather absurdly low number. The wood will flex, but rupture strength is much, much higher especially at the standard stall bar dowel thicknesses.

 

- Chris