Rather than lifting anything, I think of it as a 'straight crunch.' Compression without shortening the abdominal wall.
For whatever reason that image does it for me
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Ravn, September 5, 2013 · 28 Replies · 1,010 Views
Rather than lifting anything, I think of it as a 'straight crunch.' Compression without shortening the abdominal wall.
For whatever reason that image does it for me
Craig said:the activation to bring the pelvis into maximum tuck was the defining feature for me. even in the bent HBH, it's like a whole nother level of sadness once you introduce this. A couple of queues that helped me:
- Lift the butt off the ground as HIGH as you can
- Press the small of the back into the ground as hard as you can
- Lift the shoulder blades off the ground as high as you can
Once I got this sorted in the bent HBH, the other progressions sorted themselves out
It was the same with me - once I learned how to press the lower back in to the ground really hard everything has just fallen in to place. 4 x 60s for straddle HBH felt EASY - even with a chest infection and asthma. I found 4 x 24 more challenging than this until I went back a step. My time I spent on bHBH were absolutely worth it for learning the PPT.
Update:
Three months on FL/PE6, and I've had my first small breakthrough. I'm at 4x60, albeit with 60 seconds rest between sets, and the last 10-20 reps being with bad form. Nevertheless, the end is in sight, although I think I need at least two more months before rest times are down and form is acceptable. This one is damn hard, and even worse than RC/PE6. The future FL progressions look like smooth sailing in comparison.
On a side note, I began supplementing beta-alanine and creatine three weeks ago, and it appears that the rocks have become slightly easier since then. Whether that's real or placebo, I've no idea, and I don't care. The placebo effect is also an effect!
I feel the serratus muscle on my left strongly, even painfully contract, when I fully squeeze the abs. I have scoliosis and a slight turn in my torso. I found the problem go away if I extend my arm over my shoulder. Should I be doing it this way or is serratus activation something to look for in this move?
Edit: I found this was the result of me depressing my shoulders.