Planche Form Critique

Started by Frahebede, September 5, 2013 · 13 Replies · 2,821 Views

Frahebede

Alright so I have never trained planche before as it gave me forearm splints so i stayed away from it until now I decided to attempt a straddle half lay planche put together to make things easier. I have been doing street workout for about 1 year now and to me it seems like my form is pretty good(straight arms, back seems straight) except that my legs are below. Its not really even a hold and this is my first attempt so not that good yet but I want to do it in correct form to make more progress.

EDIT: Did a better one today, got my legs more parallel to ground so i removed the old video and here is the new one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHiIawZcGWE

Yaad Mohammad

Where is the picture or video?

Frahebede

Just added the video

kalel

your are just not ready for this progression, i would suggest u go back to tuck pl or even pl leans.

Frahebede

I know i'm not ready for it yet, but I was just wondering if the form was correct or not.

Alessandro Mainente

The form is not correct. scapulas were collapsed, hollow was lost since the beginning and also the protraction.

Frahebede

Thanks, but I though that you have to have protracted scapula to be hollow and if the scapulas were collapsed, then isn't that another way of saying i lost protraction?? So doesn't collapsed scapulas, hollow, and protracted scapula mean the same thing? Or all they all different?

Also, I did another attempt and uploaded the new one its a bit better.

Jon Douglas
Frahebede said:

Got a 3-4 second hold here, I think its correct:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgokrfkNyz4

Not to be harsh, but this is not a hold, your body is clearly descending every time you lock your arms and extend to a position you aren't ready to train.

 

The advice you got is still correct.

FredInChina

Very nice - not there yet, but well on the way :)

Listen to the advice given to you.

Yaad Mohammad

Not a hold at all, your arms aren't locked. The planche simply isn't the planche if your arms aren't locked. It puts pressure on completely different muscle groups. BAS work won't translate that well into SAS work, so if I were I'd go back to your tuck planche and just get a solid 60 second hold with completely locked arms and protracted scapula.

Frahebede

Thanks guys i'm going back tuck planches and planche leans only now

Frahebede

Hey guys real quick am I doing advanced tuck planche correctly? And I attempted some one leg planches. Also, I heard that training planche press to handstand helps you progress to the next progression. So lately i've been doing tuck press to handstand negatives and can do them slowly but I still can't even get close to pressing from the bottom. I move upwards a bit but idk how to gain strength for the whole movement. What can I do besides negatives to achieve this? Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CskNXLXcBrk

MvdB

You were given the advice to train tuck planches, not advanced/flat tuck planches. It does not look like you can actually hold a flat tuck, so why are you worrying about doing press negatives to help you move on to the next progression?

Work up to at least 1x30s of the unsexy but oh so important regular tuck planche (yes, the one with the rounded back) with perfect form, then move on to do the same for flat tuck planche, and then think about moving on to straddle.

Working through the various planche progressions allows you to focus on a new weak link in every position. By skipping progressions you are limited by several weak links at once. No wonder you collapse after a second, and no wonder you can't find the strength for the press!

Your approach is not productive. Looking at all your planche posts I also suspect that you wish to skip the straddle planche progression - most likely because you're starting out with bad active straddle flexibility, like most of us. If you are really interested in Gymnastic Strength Training™ a good straddle is a must.

I look forward to seeing videos of your tuck planche...