Straddle Planche and pelvic tilt

Started by erichlin, September 5, 2013 · 6 Replies · 16,025 Views

erichlin

From what I understand, you should have a posterior pelvic tilt (non-arched lower back) , when you hold the position.

 

My question is when you enter the straddle planche from straddle L or from L Sit or support, I imagine the process is:

 

1) Lean forward till hands meet hips

2) Lift legs to level with hips

3) Hold with posterior pelvic tilt.

 

For step 2, should you be lifting legs with arched back (anterior pelvic tilt) or non arched (posterior pelvic tilt) back? I find it easy to lift with arched back , and then squeeze my butt (enter posterior pelvic tilt) when I enter the position.

 

A corollary is, when you do a Young, do you lift with hollow back or arched back? The end position (Planche) is hollow I imagine to lock it in place, but what about the lift?

Daniel Burnham

You should try to keep the hollow position throughout the lift.  An arch certainly makes it easier but as you say requires adjustment when you reach the right height.  It also means that the person raises the butt too high before hollowing out again.  I would say do this because It builds better pressing strength and is the fundamental position of planche.

 

To tell you the truth most people I see do it arch a bit to save strength and this is what I often do when I lift up into it from floor.  When I come out of handstand into one I keep the hollow.  

 

Not familiar with the Young.  Is it in the COP?

Daniel Burnham

I think to know for certain we would have to hear from coach.

Joshua Slocum

Doing it with an arch is easier, makes it more difficult to reach the correct final position, and also just looks ugly. So do it with a hollow. 

Jon Douglas
Daniel Burnham said:

 

Not familiar with the Young.  Is it in the COP?

BTGB-- straddle L towards straddle PL and back.

Daniel Burnham

Ah ok. Forgot about those. Keep hollow in those too. Btw those are fun :)

Edit: what page? I can't seem to find them.

Keilani Gutierrez
Daniel Burnham said:

Ah ok. Forgot about those. Keep hollow in those too. Btw those are fun :)

Edit: what page? I can't seem to find them.

at the end of the lower back section