This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS / PE1 form check

Started by SoyeBoy, September 4, 2013 · 7 Replies · 317 Views

SoyeBoy

Hi guys,

 

I'm wondering if I can get any constructive criticism on this iM? I am concentrating on contracting my traps and not dislocating my shoulders too much. In the video I use a 5 kg bar. I can easily perform HS/PE1 week 11, but it looks like I need to get a lot narrower with my grip here before I can progress.

 

Keilani Gutierrez

the second to last iM looked great! so did the last one, but since you facing the camera directly, i couldnt see the angle. if you want, you can relax your neck(if you crane it forward, i've notice that i take power away from the flexion)

 

also, did you recently move to this weight? 

 

because i can do the iM perfectly but as soon as i bump from 1.5kg to 3kg or 5kg, i have to go wider to keep it under more control. (note: more control) 

 

if you can do it with 2-3kg, it's a good place to start adding weight.

 

if you've done the aforementioned and can prove mastery with 2-3kg, you're good to go for checking form on HS/PE1 and moving onto HS/PE2 and working HS/PE1>iM with a tad bit more weight from the beforementioned standard :) (if it helps, mastery with 3-5lbs is the absolute minimum with the beginning 4 PE's to engage the Trapz. 

 

 

I remember Coach posting on this in the H1 forum some time ago

SoyeBoy

Thanks for the reply!

I've always used this weight since I have the bar at home. I have used a much lighter bar in my gym however I do not believe that my grip goes much narrower with the lighter weight (although I gave never videoed to verify).

I will go lighter and see if I can achieve a narrower grip.

Keilani Gutierrez
SoyeBoy said:

Thanks for the reply!

I've always used this weight since I have the bar at home. I have used a much lighter bar in my gym however I do not believe that my grip goes much narrower with the lighter weight (although I gave never videoed to verify).

I will go lighter and see if I can achieve a narrower grip.

great, if you've been doing it with that weight, as soon as you get that lighter weight you'll get the hang of it in NO TIME, only took me about a month when i switched from 10lbs(fighting to keep it stable) to 6lbs(getting the hang of it) to 3lbs (mastered) and starting bring it back upto 6lbs with control. once I started working HS/PE2, I kept 2 sets of Tripod with the iM at 6lb in my warm up and it's steadily gotten better

 

test it out, get a vid up and more than likely, you'll nail it

Vincearoo

You're supposed to have a forward lean too, when you've lifted the bar, right? I feel I've that's a challenging part of the I'm.

SoyeBoy

Yep, I'm attempting a forward lean here as per the demo video. I'm not as far forward as the athlete in the vid, but that is the ultimate goal.

The instructions tell you to 'tilt forward'. Initially my body was almost upright performing this IM, but I am (slowly) developing the ability to tilt forward more.

Keilani Gutierrez
SoyeBoy said:

Yep, I'm attempting a forward lean here as per the demo video. I'm not as far forward as the athlete in the vid, but that is the ultimate goal.

The instructions tell you to 'tilt forward'. Initially my body was almost upright performing this IM, but I am (slowly) developing the ability to tilt forward more.

pull yourself in with the hip flexors :) it'll give you cramps but it will keep you straighter whilst leaning in, try that?

Michael S.

Just wondering now, is it enough to progress if you can pull your arms in line with the body with a less than shoulder width grip or do you need to pull the arms further, so that your hands are behind your shoulders?