When To Train Circles/Flares

Started by aiken54, September 1, 2013 · 4 Replies · 1,941 Views

aiken54

After weeks of not enjoying my working out, I have decided to do a bit of a hybrid schedule. 

I'm doing F1 four days a week and H1 three days a week. For now, F7 is too much. With two AP, and four honors classes this semester. I also just lack the time to train F7, H1, flares, and parkour/tricking, along with having a girlfriend and the various house chores that need to be taken care of in the wake of my brother leaving for college. 

 

So here is my question: When should I train flares? Should I train them on my hand balancing days (Crocodile, airbaby, H1), or on my freerunning days? Also, do I train them before I do those aforementioned activities, or after? 

 

Any and all help is appreciated!

FredInChina

You could try doing airbabies with your GF to save time... :icon_twisted:

Alessandro Mainente

flares is skill training and hard on wrist , if you wrist are well conditioned you can put the practice after H1 as i usually do.

I spend about 1 hour for handstand especially now that i'm doing handstand training on different station in my gym after the H1 work.

I do not have problems to train also 70-80 rounds of flares after handstand. 

You have to try and see what works best for you.

aiken54

I did ten rounds each side today, as today was the first day of mushroom training. Ever. I did it exactly as you said. I did my H1 work, then worked crocodile switches from arm to arm, then I trained air babies (I was sweaty so no matter how much I wiped my knee kept slipping off my elbow.), then I did my circle training. Then did my Foundation work. 

 

I think I'll stick with this! I'll obviously progress by adding more rotations, speed, etc. But the general structure will stay the same for the time being. 

Alessandro Mainente

For my experience the best choice is use the same approach of H1, so try to increase a little the volume from week to week. At the beginning i used to do 2-3 sets of max rounds, but i wasn't able to increase the volume (i did about 23-24 rounds in the good day).

instead of do that i started a different approach, nothing special, but was used by my team friend to learn the high bar giant and the giant is a skill. i started with low sets and low reps 2x2 for one week  the for another week move to 3x3, after 4x4, 5x5, 6x6, 7x7,8x8,9x9,10x10. In this way in about 9 week you can do (supposing you train it at least 4 times a week) approximately 1600 rounds (in 2 months). then you move on 11x11, 12x12, 13x13,14x14. with 4 weeks more you will be around 4400 repetitions. you can reach this level in 3 months. with 4-5 months more , supposing you are using perfect technique, you can reach 20000 rounds total. At this level of proficiency a skill is usually acquired. As you can see there are no miracles.