Side Split Hip Positioning

Started by gastar91, August 31, 2013 · 1 Replies · 2,170 Views

gastar91

Hello,

 

I have a anatomic question regarding your hips:
Is it anatomically possible to go all the way down to the side split so that your legs are completely parallel to the ground and your groin touches the floor?
By that I mean with your knees and toes pointing forward (not up towards the ceiling like a martial arts split). And is this possible while having your hips in the same position like I would have them when I simply stood upright? Or do you anatomically HAVE TO alter your hip position to achieve this position?

I am asking because I recently watched a video explaining your INABILITY to do so because your bones get in the way (see picture attached). I was sceptical because when I see people performing a side split, they just seem to open their legs (like opening scissors) without altering their hip position.

 

It would be great to get input from people who already achieved their side split. But also any anatomic knowledge regarding this would be great

 

Martin

post-2819-0-89479400-1377979058_thumb.jp

Patrick Smith

Yes, I think it is. Have a look at Stadion.com!!