This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pre-Foundation Stretches/Warmups (Beyond those prescribed)

Started by Sven Ravnstag, August 30, 2013 · 8 Replies · 460 Views

Sven Ravnstag

I've found that there's a difference between my best functional ROM and my flexibility at any given moment (especially after a day of sitting) can be pretty great.  I love the mobility components of Foundation, but sometimes it feels as though I'm stretching out the tightness of the day rather than actually making inroads into my current flexibility deficit.  I've found that there are some specific pre-stretches I can do to help address this, and I was wondering if others have found specific stretches that help with the moves of Foundation.

 

For example, I've found that doing a set or two of PNF toe-touch stretches prior to doing MN/PE1 greatly improves my ability to tough my knees to my chest.  I also like to do a set of two of MN/PE2 to help loosen up for MN/PE1 which I do in my work sets.  I like to perform Kit Laughlins cobra ab stretch and some shoulder flexion exercises to get ready for ABHs, which are only truly miserable when I'm struggling against my own body to create the arch.

 

 

 

 

 
Christian

I do a round of shoulder bridges, the exercise where you sit on your front calfs and lie down back stretching the quads and hips ( what's that called?) and seal stretch before Arch rocks.

Sven Ravnstag

I don't remember the name either, but that's one of the coolest SLS IMs yet.

 

 

Christian

Oh yeah I forgot it's in there. But I mean lie all the way down on your back and open the legs so you're between them. Quite a common stretch.

Bipocni

Reclining hero I believe.  Although I do it with my hamstrings on my heels, rather than between my legs.  I've seen people stand up from this position, and I have no idea how.

 

I need to spend about 5 minutes doing pancake progressions before I feel loose enough to perform MN/PE2 but even then they are still ugly as hell.

Jon Douglas

Natural leg extension. You can do em down into a great quad stretch if your knees are good for it

William

Hey guys,

 

after i managed PE1 in SLS i tried today PE2 SLS and my problem wasn't the power in my legs, it was the flexibility to go down like the guy in the vid does. when i was going down making the cossack squat i felt a pulling in the backside/interior of my thigh, so i could go down like i had to. My question is if its good to stretch before the exercise starts or shoud i stretch after every training session or better between those days? I heard different storys about that...the muscle loose tension -> strenght?!

 

There's another question. I did today the iM stiff leg windmill and while the first try i hurt my right shoulder, i tried again with patience and it got better, but i felt theres something poppin' around in my shoulder when i start to go the way up. is that normal? it was in my left shoulder too but not that bad, just a lack of flexibility? what do you think about that?

 

Twisting squat was damned hard -> my feet startet to burn more with every repetition, how are you avoiding that? socks or barefoot, nothing worked good for me  :unsure:

 

Oh..i forgot to ask if 5 or 10...repitions like written in F1 for some PEs and iMs are 5 or 10 repitions for every side or all in all? Because for stiff leg windmill e.g. there s "Mastery: 5r after each work set" but i think i remember exercises where was written down "5r EACH side", so is 5 really just 5 or 5 for each side because we need equal repitions each side? :)

man dankt,

 

William

Bipocni
William said:

Hey guys,

 

after i managed PE1 in SLS i tried today PE2 SLS and my problem wasn't the power in my legs, it was the flexibility to go down like the guy in the vid does. when i was going down making the cossack squat i felt a pulling in the backside/interior of my thigh, so i could go down like i had to. My question is if its good to stretch before the exercise starts or shoud i stretch after every training session or better between those days? I heard different storys about that...the muscle loose tension -> strenght?!

 

There's another question. I did today the iM stiff leg windmill and while the first try i hurt my right shoulder, i tried again with patience and it got better, but i felt theres something poppin' around in my shoulder when i start to go the way up. is that normal? it was in my left shoulder too but not that bad, just a lack of flexibility? what do you think about that?

 

Twisting squat was damned hard -> my feet startet to burn more with every repetition, how are you avoiding that? socks or barefoot, nothing worked good for me  :unsure:

 

Oh..i forgot to ask if 5 or 10...repitions like written in F1 for some PEs and iMs are 5 or 10 repitions for every side or all in all? Because for stiff leg windmill e.g. there s "Mastery: 5r after each work set" but i think i remember exercises where was written down "5r EACH side", so is 5 really just 5 or 5 for each side because we need equal repitions each side? :)

man dankt,

 

William

Yeah, we need equal repetitions each side.  If it's an odd number, do the total reps for each side.  Even number, well, it depends how much rest you think you need :lol:

 

Don't worry so much about losing strength by stretching before SLS/PE2.  It's not exactly a high strength exercise.  I've found if I do some pancake and pike stretches before I do it, I show even better form than the athlete in coaches video.  Try to keep your heels planted and go down as far as you can.

 

I think most people get that sensation in the windmills.  I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but you can post a video of your windmill if you want us to check your form.

William
Bipocni said:

Yeah, we need equal repetitions each side.  If it's an odd number, do the total reps for each side.  Even number, well, it depends how much rest you think you need :lol:

 

Don't worry so much about losing strength by stretching before SLS/PE2.  It's not exactly a high strength exercise.  I've found if I do some pancake and pike stretches before I do it, I show even better form than the athlete in coaches video.  Try to keep your heels planted and go down as far as you can.

 

I think most people get that sensation in the windmills.  I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but you can post a video of your windmill if you want us to check your form.

Thanks for the reply, Bipocni.

 

Ok, i'll search in the forum about pancake and pike stretches!

 

I really should film it, 'cause there will be more mistakes than i thought :D