This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Nate's Workout Log

Started by coachnate, February 16, 2009 · 15 Replies · 1,995 Views

coachnate

Hi all! New to posting around here, but have read loads of the posts and watched every video coach Sommer has posted on youtube. To open up, here's my current stats:

Age: 25

Height: 6'0''

Weight: ~180 lbs

Background: Started gymnastics at 3, competed from 7 till 13, took 3 years off while coaching. After the break, went back to competing for another 3 years (with pretty much coaching myself along the way for the first two years). Off and on during that time I was still coaching when/where I could. After I finished competing, I really took to coaching - boys, girls, rec, competitive... hell, even the little munchikins here and there (4/5 yr olds). There really hasn't been any aspect of the sport I haven't loved being involved in. Last summer (08) was pretty much my last round of coaching for the time being. I've recently took on a full time job (Ford, IT), and really haven't been able to split my time between work and gym. Since starting a desk job, I've put a little marshmallow around the bones :oops:

So, I did the 'American' thing to do and set a new year's resolution of getting back in shape. I started a blog back in January (see the link in my sig), with the initial goal being to introduce others to this world. Well, after a week or two I got sick (wonderful cold), and that kind of put me back a little - So the whole blog thing was looking bleek. Then I stumbled across the competition that coach Sommer is hosting. So I decided to revive the blog idea a little bit - instead of going all gung ho about it, I'm scaling back a bit and just listing what I'm doing. Here and there I'll post some vids to reference what I'm doing.

In addition, I'm getting ready to place the order for package 6 (book and dvds) to supplement my workouts. My current resources:

* Set of rings in my basement

* Iron gym chin up bar

* Handful of light free wieghts (less than 100 lbs worth)

* Treadmill

* Couple sets of home made parallets

* Some therabands

* The occassional gym that my wife still coaches at (which provides a rope, trampoline, and only girls equipment outside of that)

So I'm not maintaining two seperate logs, I'm going to stick to updating my xanga blog as I've been doing, and update this blog with refernces to that one when I update it. I'll also post some other things within this one from time to time, but I'm going to try to keep the xanga one as my primary residence. If anyone has some recommendations or questions feel free to ask.

coachnate

Did WOD for today (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1687). Had to modify due to house restrictions (rings are set up in the basement). Gotta run right now - will post details later.

coachnate

Here are some 'day 0' pics I took last week. Been busy, so it took a week to post.

3297690892_9d293a132c.jpg?v=0

3293234509_3c4ac3c8ca.jpg?v=0

3294058528_65f4057ffb.jpg?v=0

3293234025_f5eea572d4.jpg?v=0

3294058112_e27ebde5d6.jpg?v=0

3293233545_3de9c4038a.jpg?v=0

PS - my apologies if this takes forever to load. Maybe I'll go back later and compress the images if it gets unbearable.

coachnate
:P I just noticed the 'thanks coach' picture in the background. That's actually a gift my wife got last year from her girls. Just thought I would note that so there's no confusion.
coachnate

Since I don't have the book (yes, I'm referring to it as 'the' book - it's that special) yet, I took today's WOD and did my best with what it looked like:

3 sets of:

BL Hold thru to FL (lowering and pulling back up)

Tucked PL hold for 5 then 5 assisted Maltese lowers

(on pull up bar) FL hold then HLL, holding a V for 5, then L for 5 after the last one

Breakdown (of first and last part, the PL part wasn't too bad - will have to make it harder next time):

First set:

2 held (short) BL -> 4 FL w/ one leg bent

5 sec tk FL -> 3 HLL ->V ->L

Second set:

1 held 5 sec BL -> 4 FL (2 w. one leg bent, 2 tk)

2 sloppy shortly held FL -> 4 HLL -> V ->L

Third set:

2 5 sec BL (bent leg) -> 3 FL (2 w. one leg bent, 1 tk)

1 tk FL 5 sec -> 5 HLL ->V -> L (wasn't all that pretty though)

Been too long since I did bridges (at least a year, but more than likely longer), so I settled for just 6 regular bridges for 5 sec each. Did some stretching after that, and a little core stuff using the balance ball (oh how I miss doing that).

On the ball what I did was hold a push up position with my hands on the ball while sagging my back and pushing through to a round position 10 times. I did this with my hands on the ball once, and once with my hands on the parallets and my feet on the ball. If anyone cares and wants to ask about details, just let me know.

Great workout - kicked my butt overall! :D

coachnate

I'll be back later to post the workout, but just wanted to add that I bought package 6 today! :D:D:D:D:D

coachnate

Ok, my apologies for lacking on the update - here's what I haven't had a chance to post on the past couple days:

Last Saturday:

1 Rope Climb

Handful of Dropkips (basket kips) in strap bar

5 Kipping pull ups

Attempted several chest roll to HS (made one!)

Bounced for about 5 minutes on tramp

Tuesday:

Attempted the WOD - holy crap! I need to get to work on my HS! I used to have an awesome lock arm, press HS on rings. Now... I was lucky to get 2 minutes worth of HS out of my body. Here's the intervals:

35

1:13

1:51

2:07

(I'm in a hurry, so I'll let you do the math :) )

Since I couldn't do anymore XRHS, I decided to drop down to wall HS on parallets (easier on wrists for me):

1:00

41

40

20

That was actual times for each. So total wall time was about 2:40. Yea, my upper neck (traps) is still feeling it too.

Wednesday:

Did two sets of Front Lever hold with one leg out then the other leg --> Back lever (same way).

Heading to the gym now to accomplish today's WOD (with a rope climb)

On a great side note: I GOT MY BOOK AND DVDS YESTERDAY (package 6)!!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I'll post my review in another post - but just one quick note to coach sommer: Plyos??!?! Will this be part of volume 2?!!? Or are you seriously trusting Bill Sands on that one? :wink:

coachnate

So, here's the post for today's WOD:

Only made three sets :oops: but I guess that leaves room for improvement :roll:

-20 dips (first two sets bulgarian) - also, was unable to do swinging ones due to equipment restrictions.

-20 ft. L sit walks (feet were dragging kind of a bit)

Didn't end up making the rope climb today (the dips whooped my butt!).

coachnate

I just realized that I forgot to list and post a video from the WOD back on Feb 17th. I'm currently uploading the video of part of one of the sets. Check the youtube link in the signature later to view.

coachnate

Just finished today's WOD - and wow! I surprised myself... I didn't think initially that I could make it through 4 sets. Had to do some modifications for the side levers, but here's what I accomplished:

4 Sets:

-3 Side levers (each side)

-10 Front lever pulls

-5 Back Pulls

The side levers were definitely the most challenging stability-wise, while the front levers were just plain exhuasting. The back pulls I did in approximately a flat tuck (could still feel them working though). Finished up with some light HS work on the floor against the wall.

On a side note, I put together an excel sheet a couple weeks ago mapping out my time allocation for working out for the next 8-10 weeks. I think I'm on week 3 of it now, and trying to figure out some way to post it for feedback. Any suggestions? I could just load it to a server area at my old school account and anyone that's interested could take a look. Please let me know what you think! -Thanks

PS - I should have a video up by the end of the night showing my home-based modification for the side levers - see the youtube... definitely room for improvement :|

coachnate

Starting to up my amount of time that I workout this week - so I did a little today (about 45 minutes worth):

-5 lift and hold for 5 seconds of [upper body, lower body, whole body] laying on back, side, stomach, side (lifts only go up about 6")

-Couple MUs

-Couple Bulgarian and regular dips

-Held 2 or 3 supports on XR for ~10 sec

2 sets of:

-40 double leg toe risers

-Ball complex for stomach

-10 single leg toe risers (each leg)

-Ball complex for back

Both ball complexes consisted of holding a push up position (or table position for back) for 10 sec, then 10 shift the body thru a straight position and round position. Additionally, for each set I would do it once with hands on ball and once with feet on ball (hands on floor).

coachnate

:?: Looking for feedback :?:

I've compiled a plan for working out and was wondering if some people could take a look at it and let me know what they think. I've loaded it to my gmail account:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... i5Qr-jygfA

Anyone can view without logging in. Any suggestions?

coachnate

Just finished today's WOD -

3 sets of

-5 (assisted with some pulling on the rings) SLS

-5 GHR

And finished the straddle variation with the following holds:

-11 sec

-10 sec

-8 sec

-10 sec

-21 sec

I took a decent break in between each straddle L hold, and really went for it on the last one. Happy - but not yet satisfied.

Brandon
coachnate said:
:?: Looking for feedback :?:

I've compiled a plan for working out and was wondering if some people could take a look at it and let me know what they think. I've loaded it to my gmail account:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... i5Qr-jygfA

Anyone can view without logging in. Any suggestions?

You mentioned that you wanted to get back in shape, but do you have any specific goals? It would probably give a frame of reference to help figure out how well your training plan will work.

coachnate
Brandon said:

You mentioned that you wanted to get back in shape, but do you have any specific goals? It would probably give a frame of reference to help figure out how well your training plan will work.

Well - I read this post on Friday, and have been mulling it over in my mind since. My overall goal is to stay in decent shape. About a year ago I was finishing up my degree and working full time on top of that (about January thru April time frame). Between not exercising and taking the easy route on lunch (i.e. Buger King held up residence in my work's basement :arrow: [fill in pudgy smiley face here]). Throughout this time I started noticing my pants were fitting tighter, and I eventually got to the point where the next size up was feeling more comfortable (waist size). I went for a couple months in between that job and my current, during which I was trying to get back into shape (or at least shed off some of those pounds). Success was only about medium; I did loose a little bit, but was inconsistent about my workout schedule.

Flash back to a couple years ago: I weighed approx 170 to 175lbs but was much, much leaner (i.e. the bulk of the weight was muscle mass). Since muscle weighs more than fat, I figure I've lost a decent amount of muscle and replaced it with fat :( .

Now, in response to the question - what's my goals?

* Get in to an overall 'good' shape

* Loose about 5-10 lbs

* To have the 'gymnast' frame back again (V-shaped body)

Skill wise:

* XR plange (straight body) - which I need a straddled one first

* 5 connected MUs without stopping (currently have three)

I think there are other small things I would like to be capable of on XR (strength skill wise, mainly static), but I can't bring them to mind at the moment. If I get some others in my brain, I'll post them as they come. I appreciate the question - it reminds me that it helps to set a goal so I know what to focus on. I'll try to post a video of a baseline soon coupled with some max reps of a couple exercises.

coachnate

Just thought I would also add - my legs (especially my right) were incredibly sore from the SLS's the other day. Had trouble walking both Fri and Sat! :shock: I'm thinking of putting together a logging tool for working out that takes these notes into consideration when setting up your WOD (e.g. as you put in that you're going to do x amount of skill ABC, it automatically searches for your previous notes when you did ABC last time). ... I'm in IT, it's how my mind works.