This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Foundation 1 Scheduling Rationale

Started by Sven Ravnstag, August 27, 2013 · 16 Replies · 799 Views

Sven Ravnstag

I've been doing Foundation+H1 6 days/week (3X each Foundation split and H1 3X/week), but I think that I could benefit from an additional day of rest/light skill work.  

 

I'm looking at the scheduling for Foundation with fewer than six sessions/week, and I notice that Day 1 of exercises (FL, sPL, HBP, RC) are always performed more often than Day 2 (MN, SLS, SL).  What is the reason for this?  I was considering alternating the Foundation day that gets 3 sessions/week each week, but having noticed this (and considering that things rarely happen by accident around here), I became intrigued as to the possible rationale behind this structure.  

 
MMarty

The correct schedule for 3 days/week is like this:

 

Week 1:

A - FL, sPL, HBP, RC

B - SL, MN, SLS

A - FL, sPL, HBP, RC

 

Weel 2:

B - SL, MN, SLS

A - FL, sPL, HBP, RC

B - SL, MN, SLS

 

Week 3:

A - FL, sPL, HBP, RC

B - SL, MN, SLS

A - FL, sPL, HBP, RC

 

etc., so it is more or less even.

Sven Ravnstag

Oh! I must have missed that. I'll check back when I'm at my computer and see what's what.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Also: I see I posted a duplicate thread by mistake, but I'm having trouble deleting it.

kgd001

When I pull up my weekly schedule, it always has the B schedule on Monday and Friday and the A schedule on Wednesday. I am on the three day per week schedule, and when I tested in, I tested all A schedule items at the 2nd level, but all B schedule items at the 1st level. Is this schedule correct in order to provide more work to the B schedule, or have I found an error?

 

Thanks,

Kelly

Cory Fair
kgd001 said:

When I pull up my weekly schedule, it always has the B schedule on Monday and Friday and the A schedule on Wednesday. I am on the three day per week schedule, and when I tested in, I tested all A schedule items at the 2nd level, but all B schedule items at the 1st level. Is this schedule correct in order to provide more work to the B schedule, or have I found an error?

 

Thanks,

Kelly

I'll take a look at it

Sven Ravnstag
Steve Sisk said:

Oh! I must have missed that. I'll check back when I'm at my computer and see what's what.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Also: I see I posted a duplicate thread by mistake, but I'm having trouble deleting it.

I'm also finding that in the 5 day/week schedule, the FL, sPL, HBP, and RC are always scheduled for 3X/week while the MN, SL, and SLS days are always 2X/week.  The two days don't alternate in terms of frequency as they do on the 3 day/week schedule.  Is this a mistake or is there some reason to train the first day more often than the second? 

Bro'

I think I remember reading somewhere that it was it was correct, but I can't tell you about the reason.

gohei_
Bro said:

I think I remember reading somewhere that it was it was correct, but I can't tell you about the reason.

I was asking about that as well and got the answer that it was correct. I got no explanation for it though.

Sven Ravnstag

Interesting!  I would guess that if one is integrating Foundation with H1, the day with most upper body work would be only twice per week at least half of the time.  

 

I'm considering doing the 5X/week Foundation template (with MN/SL/SLS practiced 2X/week) and doing HS 2X/week as well, on the MN/SL/SLS days.  I seem to recall Coach suggesting dedicated HS training 1-2X/week anyway, and this will allow me to do quite a bit of Foundation work with the ratios suggested while also getting at HS work twice in a week.

 

My plan is to work the mobility portions of HS1 daily, as at this point this is the major limiting element of my HS progression anyway.  As my mobility improves and strength becomes a factor as well in HS training, having HS1 scheduled for days without much upper body work (MN/SL/SLS days) should allow for adequate focus on more advanced HS drill (I hear my old nemesis HS Wall Runs lurching slowly but surely in my direction).

gygez

I have had the same problem since about week four. The schedule no longer alternates. I am now on week 9 and I have been doing SL,MN,and SLS twice a week for five weeks. My low back isn't recovering as well anymore. I think I am going to alternate the week to week schedule myself if it doesn't change. Does that seem like a good idea?

Under "Cycles" it shows the routine switches back and fourth through the 12 weeks.

Thanks

Sven Ravnstag

Gygez-

 

I'm not sure.  You may consider incorporating some easy-moderate effort kettlebell swings into your routine to address the low back issue.  Since doing 5-7min sets with 16kg 3-6X/week I've found improved performance with ABH, sPL IMs, and back lever training (which I do prior to beginning foundation work to maintain progress I made during the WOD days).

 

This isn't necessarily an alternative to alternating the routine as you suggested, but it may help either way.

Cory Fair

Guys,

 

It's not terribly helpful to post technical support issues here. If something doesn't work right for you, simply click the support button at the top of the website and email me directly. 

Sven Ravnstag

My apologies, Cory.  Before you called my attention to it it didn't really occur to me that this is a real technical support issue.  I didn't think I'd found a mistake in the program Foundation; I was more curious as to why an apparent inconsistency in template design was there.

gygez

Thanks for the tip Steve.

 

Sorry Cory.

Cory Fair

There's no need to apologize as you did nothing wrong. It's more that there's a much better way to help with these things. :)

Bipocni

With the 3 day a week schedule it is supposed to rotate every week.  With 5 days a week, there is supposed to be more emphasis on pushing/pulling upper body work.

Cole Dano

You are right on that! The three day alternates, I should know that, I proof read the text half a dozen times.

 

Deleted previous post to save confusion.