This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Torn knee cartiladge

Started by setepe, August 27, 2013 · 4 Replies · 208 Views

setepe

Hi all, I've just signed up for F1 and would like some feedback from people here.  I was told some time ago now that I have a torn cartilage in my knee (determined from an MRI scan) for which I need to see an orthopaedic surgeon for advice and possibly be referred for surgery.  This is an injury I've had for sometime and has progressively gotten worse.  I do believe however that, when I was doing regular weights (squats etc) I did feel some respite from the symptoms and it has only gotten worse since I stopped going to the gym.  My question is regarding the SLS training and whether this is generally suitable to train with a torn cartilage?  My feeling is that strengthening my legs will only aid a non surgical recovery.

 

Thanks in advance,

 

Martyn.

Coach Sommer

Do not train your legs with torn cartilage.

Get the surgery first, complete rehab and then you may begin working your legs.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Nic Branson

Listen to Coach get it looked at and fixed. While leg strength would help with rehab, your knee is not healthy enough to safely train without the risk of making it worse. Do not go there, get it fixed.

setepe

Thanks for the advise guy's. I'll avoid the leg work until I have reviewed my results with the orthopaedic surgeon on Friday.

Presumably there's no reason to avoid any of the other stuff in F1?

Nic Branson

Only if it hurts.