This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Warming-Up

Started by MMarty, August 26, 2013 · 23 Replies · 733 Views

MMarty

Hi,

 

(1) the course says: "Choose from among the following rep schemes; 21/15/9 or 21/15 or 15/9.", however I want to warm-up with some exercises, which use 60s, 60r or 30s mastery template.

 

I guess that I can use full duration for 60s and 30s, but how many reps should I do for 60r? The time under the tension is much longer in 60r than in 60s and doing  60r in warm-up seems like too much.

 

(2) Do you do iMs between your warm-up sets or do you go from one exercise to the next one?

 

Thanks

Jon Douglas

I do the minute sets in warmups as minute sets. Once they're mastered, they really shouldn't be taxing enough to get in the way of your work sets. 60 rep movements are the same, but I guess it depends on how hard you personally find them.

Generally I do the warmups as 2-3 pairs, but particularly for legs I get a bit more random with it, adding in other drills. I do add this to pair though. Since the certification topics have come up recently, I've really liked the idea of running the cert test format;

 

PE1-PE2-PE3       ->            PE>IM1 - PE>IM2 - PE>IM1      ->        (Work sets)

 

which is also adjustable as one moves forward in level testing, and goes particularly well with my current balance of PE1-3 high rep movements and (generally) 5x5 work sets. It also 'encourages' me to keep the pace up and the intensity down for warmups.

MMarty

Thank you.

 

And just to make sure I got the warm-up schemes right...

 

For example warm-up for HBP: I can start with 15 PPP and 9 Dips (different variations every time) and eventually progress to 21 PPP, 15 Dips, 9 HSPU, right?

Jon Douglas
MMarty said:

Thank you.

 

And just to make sure I got the warm-up schemes right...

 

For example warm-up for HBP: I can start with 15 PPP and 9 Dips (different variations every time) and eventually progress to 21 PPP, 15 Dips, 9 HSPU, right?

Sure, why not? Just don't push yourself to get the numbers up, keep yourself at warmup intensiy.

Alessandro Mainente

MMarty is actually what i'm doing.

P5yx

i don't really like the 21/15/9 rep scheme. first of all it isn't executable with static exercises and second it doesn't

consider the rep schemes of a particular pe. e.g. 15 reps warm up with pushups where a mastery set is 15 might be the right thing to do. but let's consider more difficult exercices like tucked planche push ups. lets say a mastery set consists of 5 reps.

if you want to do 9 or even 15 reps as a warm up you would double the reps of a mastery set.

 

coach mentioned to keep it simple so i do just one mastery set of upto three PEs.

i'm uncertain if i should do the corresponding iM after the set or after all of my warm up PEs. what do you think?

William

yesterday i began with F1 testing out where i am. so i have the same question for warming up, especially what a full workout would look like...

 

1. Exercise: Bent hollow body hold(FL/PE1) + iM 

 

2. Exercise: Scapular shrug(sPL/PE1) + iM

 

3. Exercise: Incline Push up(HBP/PE1) + iM

 

4. Exercise: Hinge row(RC/PE1) + iM

 

every work set 5 times.

 

1.So how would you warm up? Do i need a warm up BEFORE EVERY exercise of the 4 above? Or just before the first one to get the blood flow thru my body?

 

2. And what if i'am starting with PE 1? 

Keilani Gutierrez
William said:

yesterday i began with F1 testing out where i am. so i have the same question for warming up, especially what a full workout would look like...

 

1. Exercise: Bent hollow body hold(FL/PE1) + iM 

 

2. Exercise: Scapular shrug(sPL/PE1) + iM

 

3. Exercise: Incline Push up(HBP/PE1) + iM

 

4. Exercise: Hinge row(RC/PE1) + iM

 

every work set 5 times.

 

1.So how would you warm up? Do i need a warm up BEFORE EVERY exercise of the 4 above? Or just before the first one to get the blood flow thru my body?

 

2. And what if i'am starting with PE 1? 

I'm currently at PE1 for all progressions on F1 and I just do one or two iM's to get my blood pumping and then start working all the PE's. 

 

I do FL/PE1>iM to mobilize my spine, do the wrist stretches from H1, HBP/PE1>iM to warm up my shoulders, a static deep squat for a few moments and then maybe 5 squats to put some blood into my legs and glutes. then I begin. 

 

I live in a tropical climate, so my warm ups are usually one set and boom i'm ready, I got a light sweat going on and I'm ready to go. :)

ausswe

I like the idea of the mastery set scheme that charm mentioned as warm up but if you do it like that then that is one hell of. Warm up. 21 exercises and ims before you even start....

Jon Douglas
ausswe said:

I like the idea of the mastery set scheme that charm mentioned as warm up but if you do it like that then that is one hell of. Warm up. 21 exercises and ims before you even start....

But they're relatively v easy, so you don't need rest periods. Bam-bam-bam, done, quick work sets that take a couple minutes and onto the next one. Some of my shortest workouts have been the past month, where I've done this to brush up on PE1-3's for seminar, and this is at least partly because my previous warmup sessions were a bit warmup-hero, and encouraged me to rest too much between exercises.

 

I have enjoyed this structure and plan to keep using it for a while.

ausswe

I'll have to try and incorporate it when I'm further down the track I think in e meantime I just bounce around do a few reps of the exercises I'm about to perform and loosen up with some ims

William
Jon Douglas said:

I do the minute sets in warmups as minute sets. Once they're mastered, they really shouldn't be taxing enough to get in the way of your work sets. 60 rep movements are the same, but I guess it depends on how hard you personally find them.

 

 

I would think, that a static set isn't as good as a movement for getting warm, is it just me thinking so?

I did a lot of sports, like football, wrestling and so on, but we never warmed up with statics and i have to say i felt it was right, 'cause you will never prepare the blood, whole body and the joints especially, good enough with statics, to my mind.

What does a static hold do? i also think the chance is much bigger to get hurt when you're not already warmed up and start with statics, where you have this contraction. just my thoughts and my expercience, too :)

 

Sorry...maybe i overread it, but still one question to go for me, you all warm up before the whole training or are you warming up specific for every new exercise? that means, warming up for FL/PE1... needs warm up for the core, lets say you're done with your working sets for this, then you start Hollow back press, where you need pecs, triceps etc...are you warming up for this with light push ups? cause i suggest, that warming up before every exercise could be more effectiv than warming up the whole body before the first exercise, what do you think?

 

Grütze,

 

William

 

Jon Douglas

I do a general warmup before anything, just to get loose and warm. Then I do the elements one by one-- warmup sets, warmup mobility elements, then work sets before onto the next one. Once you're into the habit it goes very quickly.

ausswe

So you would do

General warm up

Fl warm up pe1 pe2 pe3. Then I'm 1 im2 im3

Fl pe4 set

Spl warm up pe1 pe2 pe3. Then im1 im2 Im3

Spl pe4

Etc etc....

That is assuming you are at pe4. For exercises. Then for every increase in level you would increase the warm up pe level as well?

That seems like a massive work load especially doing f7

Jon Douglas

Does it? It doesn't seem like it when you do it... the warmup sets are so light you just keep going :S I mean this is obviously provided that doing those sets/reps keeps it at a warmup level intensity for a given person... I am only using the higher reps there because 21 reps of eg) arch rocks isn't going to keep my hand in with the 60 rep sets, 21/15/9 would be fine once you get past the 60 rep sets...

Anyway I'm starting a new cycle today so I'll let you know how it goes with pe's 4-6 plus my work sets instead.

 

Edit;

'Today,' 'this week'... yknow.

William
ausswe said:

So you would do

General warm up

Fl warm up pe1 pe2 pe3. Then I'm 1 im2 im3

Fl pe4 set

Spl warm up pe1 pe2 pe3. Then im1 im2 Im3

Spl pe4

Etc etc....

 

Ok, that's how i would do it, a single specific warm up for every new exercise and one general warm up for starting the whole.

Jon Douglas

Yes sorry, that is the structure i'm using

chobbs

All the PE's, then all the iM's for each movement category instead of alternating and keeping them paired?

 

- Chris

Jon Douglas

Yes, that's how I'm doing it.

This works for me so far, and I finished strong today, but obviously tailor it to your time needs and abilities. I'm also doing the 4-day programming with H1 after each session.

 

Today looked like;

Wrist stretches—wrist series 4x4 (as part of general warmup)

FL, sPL, RC, HBP (as described above)

H1

 

plus a bit more material from the seminar.

If you're disciplined about it, it goes pretty fast. I could easily have spent a couple hours if I left my skype on, had a glass of water here and here... took a snack... talked to housemate... so turn all that stuff off and get your training done first, then you can socialise :)

This is only one example of how to structure it. You do what's right for you.

chobbs

Interesting approach. I wonder if those of us who struggle with the mobility would do better to group them like you have done but flip the order and do the iMs first, then hit up the PEs. Also, if at some point down the line we start seeing iM pairings that are meant to deal with any compensations as a result of the PE itself then it may make sense to keep those paired. Food for thought at any rate.

 

- Chris

Jon Douglas

Mm, that's true. My mobility and flexibility is substantially ahead of my strength, so for me its more like loosening back up after some strength work than a taxing stretch. I suggest you just play with it and see what works :) no real need to structure your warm up at all, i just like having a list to work my way through and make changes as i go depending on how i feel

Jon Douglas

Hmm, now you have me thinking :) this isn't very efficient since there is a lot of the same ground covered.

I could probably easily maintain all my fl mobility progressions by just doing one set of bridge wall walks without the wall. Ill have a look at it when i get home and see which categories I can collapse together. Interesting....

Bipocni
Jon Douglas said:

I could probably easily maintain all my fl mobility progressions by just doing one set of bridge wall walks without the wall.

Somethings wrong with that....  Can't quite put my finger on it....

Bipocni

In regards to the 21/15/9 warmup, I took these to be fractions based on a whole of 15.  So for a 60s mastery set, it would be 84/60/36.

 

Jon has the right idea tho.  You want to warm up specifically for each exercise, and doing a mini mastery test is great.  When you get to higher levels you'll need to warm up with specific exercises that will boost your ability to perform your work sets.

 

Which brings me to.

 

William said:

I would think, that a static set isn't as good as a movement for getting warm, is it just me thinking so?

I did a lot of sports, like football, wrestling and so on, but we never warmed up with statics and i have to say i felt it was right, 'cause you will never prepare the blood, whole body and the joints especially, good enough with statics, to my mind.

What does a static hold do?

A static set is not warming up in the traditional sense as in "some cardio or whatever just raise your temperature."  It's more like squatting with an empty barbell before you start your work sets.  It fires up the nervous system.  In the specific case of say, FL/PE1 before FL/PE2 it lets you practice good form before you start moving about.  If you body position is not right, you aren't going to be getting the most out of the exercise and you will suffer as a result.

 

However all of this aside, I'm using my warmup sets as a pre-exhaust in order to build work capacity.