Hello All,
Just joined and came on to thank the good Coach for putting out Building the Gymnastic Body, which unfortunately I have just discovered.
I have lifted weights for 15 years and at my peak I was able to bench press 350 pounds for reps at a body weight of 200 lbs. After so many years of lifting however, my strength outside a limited range of motion was subpar in comparison. Furthermore, the wear and tear on my joints and a long list of impressive injuries forced my to quit the heavy weights.
I live and work in a place where it is of paramount importance to look and be as strong as one possibly can. After much research into finding an alternative way of working out I discovered BtGB. The huge variety of exercise and the straight forward and simple programming guidelines have been indispensable to me in rehabbing my body and building back an impressive amount of functional strength. Further, unusual exercises such as Korean dips (working them for a month and still can't do them very well) have helped address dynamic shoulder flexibility issues. Also, I am able to maintain a body-weight of 190 lbs at a height of 5'8 on just the exercises in the book.
To someone who was until recently unfamiliar with gymnastic workouts this book has been a life-saver. It is unfortunate that working out with weights has been so commercialized and gymnastic style strength training has not.
And so I would like to thank Coach Sommer for putting all this information out there, so many guys are beating their joints up getting strong in the only way that is available mainstream and only for commercial reasons. Thanks for attempting to rectify a very biased mainstream workout culture, and save a lot of guys a lot of pain and money while providing a practical way to get really, really strong with minimal equipment.
Sorry, I had to download the pdf version online, but when I am stateside again, I promise to purchase the book!
Best Regards,
A