This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Is ankle joint prep going to be in the F3 or F4?

Started by RatioFitness, August 26, 2013 · 7 Replies · 320 Views

RatioFitness

I need it BADLY.

Bipocni

Why, what's wrong with your ankles?

 

Basic ankle prep as I understand it involves heavy calf raises, putting a weight plate on your toes and doing heavy toe lifts, barefoot running is great and the simplest is writing the alphabet in the air with your big toe.  Every day.

 

Just get a resistance band, hook it around your foot and move against resistance in every plane of motion for your foot.

 

These are just ideas off the top of my head.  If you want something more specific to tumbling/rebounding I can't help you.

MT Nordic

It seems to me there is a lot of ankle prep in the squat progressions and iM's.  In order to get through these you need to have good ankle strength and mobility.  So I would argue it is in there already.  What troubles are you having?  Maybe there's something else going on?

ausswe

I was actually going to start a post about ankle prep but maybe I'll just write it here.

Basically I wanted to know if coach had an ankle program like he does for wrists? I have very weak ankles thanks to an old accidental Injury and need a good program to make them stronger and more mobile.

My idea was to do something similar to coaches wrist work.

Stretch the ankle by bending the ankle so I'm resting on the outer edge of my feet/ankles then reverse and rest on the inside of the ankle/feet

Then place the top of my foot on the ground and lean forward to stretch the top

Step on an incline and lean forward to stretch the back.

Circlular motion in both directions

Then for strengthening

Standing calf raises

Weight plate on the toes and lift for reps

Using a band rotate the feet out and then switch the band and rotate the feet inwards

Sorry if that makes no sense I'm being constantly distracted by my gf asking me silly questions.

What do you guys think of at? And does anyone know if coach has a good ankle series? I'd assume so considering it would be helpful for tumbling.

Joshua Naterman

Band-loaded inversion and eversion are your best ankle prep, because they are a simple and highly effective way to protect yourself from sprains.

 

To round things out, the calf raises and weighted toe lifts (put a weight on your toes and lift it, preferably in shoes... or use a band.) or bodyweight toe raises (stand with back to wall, butt back and head all touching. Now move your heels about a foot from the wall, preferably in shoes, and lift your toes as high as you can with locked knees. When this gets easy you can start shifting your weight more to one foot) will do the trick.

Fit-Bull90
Joshua Naterman said:

Band-loaded inversion and eversion are your best ankle prep, because they are a simple and highly effective way to protect yourself from sprains.

 

To round things out, the calf raises and weighted toe lifts (put a weight on your toes and lift it, preferably in shoes... or use a band.) or bodyweight toe raises (stand with back to wall, butt back and head all touching. Now move your heels about a foot from the wall, preferably in shoes, and lift your toes as high as you can with locked knees. When this gets easy you can start shifting your weight more to one foot) will do the trick.

What do Band-loaded inversion and eversion look like? 

Joshua Naterman
Fit-Bull90 said:

What do Band-loaded inversion and eversion look like? 

Not to be rude, but they look like google and youtube searches. With the entire world at their fingertips, many people sit back and wait for the world to come to them, but that's not how life works. 

 

My suggestion is to spend a few days learning about that, perhaps with google and youtube searches for " band ankle inversion" or just learning what ankle inversion and eversion are.

 

After learning what they are, and watching videos about how to perform resistance exercise with bands or other stuff using these movements, if you STILL have questions it would be a good idea to ask.

 

I believe it is important to constantly cultivate your desire for self-education. Not only is it much more rewarding, it makes it fun for people to help you and shows that you are actually interested in taking care of yourself.

 

Maybe you have done this, I don't know, but if it has not been mentioned. Lots of people "need things badly" but don't put their own effort in, and I am not going to do all the work for people. We meet halfway, as a partnership, or we don't do business.

ausswe
Joshua Naterman said:

Band-loaded inversion and eversion are your best ankle prep, because they are a simple and highly effective way to protect yourself from sprains.

 

To round things out, the calf raises and weighted toe lifts (put a weight on your toes and lift it, preferably in shoes... or use a band.) or bodyweight toe raises (stand with back to wall, butt back and head all touching. Now move your heels about a foot from the wall, preferably in shoes, and lift your toes as high as you can with locked knees. When this gets easy you can start shifting your weight more to one foot) will do the trick.

This is basically a refined version of what I said.

Would you also recommend the stretches I wrote above to coincide with these exercises?