This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Progress updates a question

Started by John P, August 25, 2013 · 20 Replies · 861 Views

John P

Hello all,

 

I have a quick question for you all. How are you progressing? Where did you start, where are you now?

 

I am coming up to my final week of the first cycle and have had a fun time so far. I have decided to repeat the few I have 'mastered' just to make sure the mobility is up there and it got me wondering how everyone is doing.

 

I started at the very beginning without even testing any as my mobility is very poor. I progressed nicely until I realised I was doing several wrong at the end of week 9 so I reverted back to 5. My only real sticking point was in RC where i failed at week 6. So I feel I'm progressing nicely on a two day F7. Every time it is hard but always an improvement.

So for me everything started at week 1 PE 1 and now:

 

FL - Week 1 - 7. one reset for form.

sPL - Week 1 - 11 no reset.

SL - Week 1 - 7. Yeah.

MN - Week 1 - 11

SLS - - Ankle injury.

HBP - Week 1 - 7. One reset for form.

RC - Week 1 - 7. One reset due to fail.

 

I'd love to hear how everyone is going.

 

John

 

Bipocni

I'm on PE1 for everything except hollow raises, where I started on PE2.

 

I've passed week 11 for pushing movements, but I'm not super happy about my form so I'm going to repeat the cycle.

 

Currently I'm trying to build the work capacity for F7, I'm focusing on adding a couple warmup sets and being really strict about doing the whole workout with no rest at all.

John P

I think I need to work on reducing the rest as well. There's often an extra breath or two between sets. I find F7 hard but doing as per the two day a week planner on monday and friday leaves enough time for my body to recoup. 

 

No one else willing to share?

Jon Douglas

I was doing 3xf7 +3xh1, but have switch to the Foundation 4day schedule and 4-5 days of H1, as my schedule has gotten out of control and I was feeling a touch run down.

Emphasis on what we have all been told-- WHAT YOU CAN HANDLE IS NOT NECESSARILY WHAT IS OPTIMAL. IF YOU ARE NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR WORKOUT, YOU MAY BE WALKING THE WRONG SIDE OF THAT LINE.

Now I am progressing nicely in every session.

 

I am currently finishing up F2; I'm happy with my Mn, SL, RC and HBP performance. A couple of elements to finish in the others.

But I am expecting to completely revamp my current workouts after the seminar, in which direction I couldn't say but I'm excited.

Bipocni

Is the seminar over then?  I take it you didn't pass level 0.5 mastery... :P

Jon Douglas
Bipocni said:

Is the seminar over then? I take it you didn't pass level 0.5 mastery... :P

Seminar is this weekend :P

Haven't got .5 yet, cautiously optimistic but don't want to oversell due to beginner status. Will get it for sure, may not be just yet but will do my best if the opportunity is there :)

MT Nordic

Dang you boys are brutal!

Jon Douglas

Don't forget to keep discussion of F2 material in the right forum :)

Arto

.

PeterSweden

I just got to the PE2's on F1.

 

My worst one now is the MN/PE2, terrible form need to work mobility there alot as I saw other thread with similar problems.

 

I think I will also do more of SL/PE1 before moving up to the rocking there.

 

Other than that, I unfortunately don't have rings so I have just been doing rows on a regular bar for the RC. I understand this movement is different from the variations on rings so when I get some rings I will go back and try for mastery on those.

Flameous

I'm actually starting everything from the beginning next week. I was repeating last minicycle for all but arc holds, doing PE2 for HBP and SLS. Summer has just messed up my schedule and my elbow has also been acting up so I've taken it slow for a while. Now I have a friend starting with me so I'll start from the beginning with him and build some momentum, hopefully this time getting through all without having to repeat any cycles. (SL, I'm looking at you!)

Coach Sommer
Jon Douglas said:

 

Emphasis on what we have all been told-- WHAT YOU CAN HANDLE IS NOT NECESSARILY WHAT IS OPTIMAL ... IF YOU ARE NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR WORKOUT, YOU MAY BE WALKING THE WRONG SIDE OF THAT LINE ... 

 

Well said.

dritar

Started about 6 months ago

 

Currently on:

FL/PE4, weeks [1-4], started on FL/PE2. FL/PE's have been progressing nicely at the prescribed rate but I may take some time with this one as I'm clumsy at the iM.

 

sPL/PE3 weeks [9-12], started on sPL/PE2 but I repeated one 4 week cycle on sPL/PE2 due to shaking. May do so again with sPL/PE3

 

SL/PE1 weeks [5-9], ahahaha. Seriously, I think I'm close to achieving good enough form for weeks [9-12].

 

MN/PE2 weeks [1-4]. Started on MN/PE1. Currently a bottleneck due to mobily. I've been supplementing this with an exercise pair, foundation style focusing on straddle flexibility. DId two months of straddle lifts paired with hip flexor stretch now doing pancake straddle reps paired with a frog stretch.

 

HBP/PE3 weeks [1-4]. In retrospect I started foolishly with weeks [9-12] of HBP/PE2 which was too much. I adjusted later on but even so this one took much more time master than I thought.

 

RC/PE3 weeks [9-12], started on RC/PE3, currently doing week 10 as I can do week 9 but not 10, so I'm basically repeating week 10 till I can do all reps. This one has been a bottleneck of mine for quite some time but I'm making steady progress even though not it's not at the prescribed rate (I've got time, so no worries).

 

SLS/PE4 weeks [9-12], started on week [5-8] of SLS/PE2. I've found this one to be the only easy part of F1. I actually find the iMs more challenging. So I did 3 months of SLS/PE2 even though I started SLS/PE2 on the second group of weeks but the iM took some more time to master. SLS/PE3 was also pretty easy, but I felt I should "milk" the very interesting iM so I probably spent more time on this exercise than I probably would need. Currently SLS/PE4 is the first where the it's a challenge but I still think the iM is more difficult than the actual strength exercise.

 

I'm expecting to hit F2 first on SLS as it's the only thing I don't suck much at :).

chobbs

I too have been at it since it was released. I am mostly stuck due to mobility issues. Trying to address those problems is taking most of my attention. I took some time away from the program and instead focused entirely on mobility stuff out of frustration combined with a severe lack of time from work related stuff. But I got back into it around the start of the month.

 

I am taking some time off of work and have plenty of time now to dedicate to doing the program and focusing on addressing the mobility deficits. The goal is to have the major mobility stuff addressed by the end of the year - at least in as much as not having to spend extra hours addressing things just to be able to do the progressions in the series. Obviously an occasional one may crop up, but right now it is across the board, very frustrating, and quite time consuming.

 

FL/PE1 - Week 3 ... restarted this from the very beginning as my ROM has continued to develop.

 

sPL/PE1 - Week 7 ... could easily display mastery of this element if not for that damned internal rotation on the iM. I have only a few degrees and haven't had much luck at all increasing said range over these 6+ months. Continuing to attack it from a variety of angles and in the meantime really making the scap shrugs solid.

 

HBP/PE1 - Week 11 ... already did mastery of this element. But I have a nagging problem on my left elbow where doing push-ups I get a snapping/sliding sensation on the eccentric portion. Doesn't hurt per se, but isn't comfortable either. So I am repeating weeks 9-12 of PE1 gradually lowering the height of the incline. Hopefully this will suffice. If not I may have to revisit the approach.

 

RC/PE1 - Week 7 ...  this one I am legitimately stuck on. After trying to plow through with multiple cycles having my glutes fully off the ground I have regressed to having them placed on the ground. I am hoping it will result in some forward progress from being able to maintain the better form. Plus it looks exactly like the form demonstrated in the video. I still find the description for that movement to be really irksome.

 

SL/PE1 - Week 3 ... like with the the FL I started this one over and think I am finally about good on my arch ROM. Legs still want to externally rotate some and staying together is still a bit finicky, but I am hopeful this cycle will be the last of the ROM increases and I can deal with the shaking that will inevetibly show itself on the 36+ second sets.

 

SLS/PE1 - Week 7 ... all mobility problem here. I can do these with a doubled up mat (about 3" of help), and managed to do last week at just a single mat thickness helping me out, but it will probably still be awhile before I get past this one.

 

MN/PE1 - Week 7 ... mobility is stopping me here too. I don't have quite as nice of compression at the top as I should (tied in to my FL ROM as well), and the iM needs some work as well. No problem though as the jump from PE1 to PE2 is insane as far as flexibility requirements so I will be at this one for awhile and supplementing with a variety of stretches to help bridge the gap.

 

I am doing a 4 day split (M/T/TH/F) with two days of H1 work as well (W/Sa). Sunday is a day spent stretching PNF style trying to get some new ROM.  Tomorrow will mark the end of the third week with this schedule and it is going quite well. This last week I have started added a bunch of trigger point work throughout the day and that has seemed to have made a noticeable difference in mobility issues although my body is quite sore from all of the body work right now. It hasn't seemed to affect the sessions adversely though, quite the opposite.

 

- Chris

mlaen

Hi guys :) I just finished my first week so no progressions here, but I was looking for a place to put my impressions so here goes :)

 

I'm doing F1+H1 (M, T, Th, F). I started of with:

FL/PE1 - week 5

sPL/PE1 - week 5 (swivel hips are gonna keep me on this PE for a while)

SL/PE1 - week 1

MN/PE1 - week 5

SLS/PE1 - week 1 - I really need to roll up fast in order to be able to get back up on my feet (I need to work a lot on my overall flexibility/mobility)

HBP/PE1 - week 9

 

H1 is fun, I like wrist work, and I had a few laughs while trying to get into tripod position :D

I spent a lot of time on my phone looking at the videos/calendar in between sets so I hope things get a bit harder after I ditch my phone during sessions :)

wheezer
chobbs said:

I too have been at it since it was released. I am mostly stuck due to mobility issues. Trying to address those problems is taking most of my attention. I took some time away from the program and instead focused entirely on mobility stuff out of frustration combined with a severe lack of time from work related stuff. But I got back into it around the start of the month.

 

RC/PE1 - Week 7 ...  this one I am legitimately stuck on. After trying to plow through with multiple cycles having my glutes fully off the ground I have regressed to having them placed on the ground. I am hoping it will result in some forward progress from being able to maintain the better form. Plus it looks exactly like the form demonstrated in the video. I still find the description for that movement to be really irksome.

 

Great work with the mobility commitment! Maximum contraction and mobility go hand-in-hand to make functional strength. You are not "stuck". You have identified the weakest link in your function and you are training it head-on. All you ever need to do is work on your weakest link - this applies to the 400lb man straining to get into the crunch position, right through to the Olympian working on stability for his Victorian.

 

For the Hinge Row, in my opinion you would be far, far better off keeping your butt off the ground. If the glutes support any of your weight, you are not doing Hinge Rows, instead you are doing assisted sit-ups. So right now you are on Week 7 of assisted sit-ups. Where are you up to for Hinge Rows? It could be anywhere.

 

I can relate to the slow-going. I've been doing Hinge Rows since March, and I'm currently working on doing 4x9r without resembling this guy. It took me four months to get to Week 3! But - it is totally transforming my body. Your body is adapting in a very fundamental way, and this can take months.

 

 

mlaen said:

H1 is fun, I like wrist work, and I had a few laughs while trying to get into tripod position :D

I spent a lot of time on my phone looking at the videos/calendar in between sets so I hope things get a bit harder after I ditch my phone during sessions :)

Sounds like you're having fun! Fantastic!  :)

 

Keep up the filming yourself. Embrace it whenever in doubt. With your form, it's so easy to develop a large gap between how you think you look, and how you actually look - without that visual feedback.

chobbs
wheezer said:

Great work with the mobility commitment! Maximum contraction and mobility go hand-in-hand to make functional strength. You are not "stuck". You have identified the weakest link in your function and you are training it head-on. All you ever need to do is work on your weakest link - this applies to the 400lb man straining to get into the crunch position, right through to the Olympian working on stability for his Victorian.

 

For the Hinge Row, in my opinion you would be far, far better off keeping your butt off the ground. If the glutes support any of your weight, you are not doing Hinge Rows, instead you are doing assisted sit-ups. So right now you are on Week 7 of assisted sit-ups. Where are you up to for Hinge Rows? It could be anywhere.

 

I can relate to the slow-going. I've been doing Hinge Rows since March, and I'm currently working on doing 4x9r without resembling this guy. It took me four months to get to Week 3! But - it is totally transforming my body. Your body is adapting in a very fundamental way, and this can take months.

 

Stuck probably isn't the right word. I am held up due to mobility issues. ;) Some of which have literally been in a state of zero progress for months though, but I am still trying different things hoping to unlock some forward movement.

 

As for the Hinge Row, I spent a few months not moving past 4x9. Rather than keep backing off I decided for this week to move forward with the higher volume butt on the ground version. What is it doing - quite simply allowing me to focus more on form and hit a bunch of smaller muscles that never got any work when I did the butt off the ground version. Is it ideal? No idea ... but I am willing to give it a few weeks and then come back to the other and see how things progressed. 

 

It would be a different story if I felt nothing at all throughout those sets and just blew through the session like it was nothing. However I can confirm it is working a variety of muscles that I wasn't able to get with the supposedly correct version. Time will tell if that is a good thing or not.

 

- Chris

Michael Borregaard
chobbs said:

As for the Hinge Row, I spent a few months not moving past 4x9. Rather than keep backing off I decided for this week to move forward with the higher volume butt on the ground version. 

 

It would be a different story if I felt nothing at all throughout those sets and just blew through the session like it was nothing. However I can confirm it is working a variety of muscles that I wasn't able to get with the supposedly correct version.

 

I think there is some confusion about what is the right version. The hints says to keep glutes of the ground at the outset - but not throughout. I think of it as a pointer to keep a hollow body - but clearly the lower part of the back is on the ground, and then you sit up on the glutes, then roll back down. That is clearly consistent with the video as well.

chobbs
Michael Borregaard said:

I think there is some confusion about what is the right version. The hints says to keep glutes of the ground at the outset - but not throughout. I think of it as a pointer to keep a hollow body - but clearly the lower part of the back is on the ground, and then you sit up on the glutes, then roll back down. That is clearly consistent with the video as well.

 

Yeah there is definitely still some debate. Especially as a glutes fully off the ground version is easily more difficult than an incline row or the ground row IMO. The clincher for me was watching my wife perform both movements. The seated version looks *exactly* like the demonstrated technique, while the glutes off version looks entirely different. In any case, if I do it this way for a few weeks and show improvement overall then I will know I am on the right track.

 

- Chris

bluebellstar

For a brief period they were called "Seated Ring Rows".

I found that highly puzzling.

Aadil Siddiqi

I think on these videos you should try your best to emulate the video, whilst keeping the focus points in mind. The videos are Mastery form for sure, otherwise Coach would never allow that video to surface on the final product. In the case of Hinge Rows, the glutes are definitely on the ground, but the athlete's weight is not resting on them.

 

My progress as of now:

 

FL/PE2: I plan on jumping this up to Week 9, as it's quite easy for me now. Having the lack of mobility restrictions that come with being 14 and active, the Table isn't holding me back either.

 

sPL/PE4: Mastery on this could come very soon as well. To be honest, the work sets feel like a break from the iM, but my form is still rock-solid.

 

HBP/PE2: I'm probably going to take the full 12 weeks for this one. iM is with 3kg.

 

RC/PE1: This burns my forearms so badly :l I couldn't do Week 10, so I had to scale back, focusing on better tempo.

 

SL/PE1: Mastery next week!

 

MN/PE1: Scaled back to Week 5 as Week 9 had me tipping over. My iM here is at 3 kg as well.

 

SLS/PE1: I think everyone who's having trouble with this should look at a couple of other resources: 1) the threads on Deck Squats here, 2) Josh's advice on the SLS/PE2 thread, and 3) Carl Paoli's Air Squat videos. I will have Mastery on this in 4 weeks.

 

Edit: Forgot to mention this, but I do F1 Th,F,S,Su.

Edit #2: Started F1 in July.