This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Extra Mobility?

Started by Guest, August 25, 2013 · 14 Replies · 550 Views

Guest

Right now I'm working on HS/PE2 (HeS) and was wondering if I could do some extra mobility after my sessions. Maybe work some dislocates like the second half of the PE's. Nothing strenuous or weighted too much, but just to get some extra shoulder mobility. Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

how much weight are you using for the IM2?

Guest

5 lb, working on finding a way to get a heavier bar. The dislocates would mostly be unweighted, however.

Alessandro Mainente

One IM is a preparatory element For the following IM, without goof proficiency in the previous element you can fall in injury by training something out or your capacity. Also mobility must be weighed mobility so does not make sense use an IM with no overweight. Complete the current IM with 7-9kg at least then pass over.

Bipocni

In general extra mobility work is encouraged around here.

 

That being said, make sure you are working safely with exercises at your level.

 

How's your rotation into low bridge? :icon_twisted:

Ravn

I'm doing 5x30 secs of German hangs + pe1<im as warm-up for pe2<im, and it helps a lot.

P5yx
Ravn said:

I'm doing 5x30 secs of German hangs + pe1<im as warm-up for pe2<im, and it helps a lot.

i wouldn't recommend german hangs for the broad majority as a warm up for PE2>iM. German hangs can be to pretty demanding for shoulders and biceps.

Vincearoo

I s just bought a foam roller recently and I absolutely love using it before the workout.

Ravn
P5yx said:

i wouldn't recommend german hangs for the broad majority as a warm up for PE2>iM. German hangs can be to pretty demanding for shoulders and biceps.

True. One should strive to extend the shoulders fully and hang as vertically as possible, to decrease the leverage on the elbows. Once this can be done, they're not nearly as brutal.

Alessandro Mainente

Actually german hang is not the correct exercise to prepare yourself. the motivation is due muscle activity during this type of exercise and the flexibility pattern you are following doing the exercise.

German hang is shoulders extension behind the upper body passing near the hips, this let to chest and lats to elongate in different motion if compared with IM for handstand.

On the other side IM for handstand elongates the last and chest over the head using active traps strength to increase shoulders flexion. So perform the german hang is not specific warm up for shoulder mobility as can be the previous IM elements in respect to your current level.

Also as P5yx sai german hand and BL progressions can be dangerous and actually they can be used tas a warm up for some advanced rings strength elements only when a solid foundation is mastered in RC progression.

Bipocni
alex87 said:

Actually german hang is not the correct exercise to prepare yourself. the motivation is due muscle activity during this type of exercise and the flexibility pattern you are following doing the exercise.

German hang is shoulders extension behind the upper body passing near the hips, this let to chest and lats to elongate in different motion if compared with IM for handstand.

On the other side IM for handstand elongates the last and chest over the head using active traps strength to increase shoulders flexion.

Except in the case of HS/PE2>iM also known as the static standing shoulder extension.

 

Ravn, it's a fine idea, using passive flexibility to increase ROM on a subsequent active flexibility stretch.  I'm going to assume in your case you know how to german hang without hurting yourself...  Like putting your feet on the ground? :ph34r:

 

Awareness, I'm not sure I'd recommend german hangs unless you were careful and had some decent strength already.  Say, RTO support and dead hang pullups. 

Ravn

Well, German hang is more or less the ideal stretch for pe2<im, but of course you have to ease into it. For instance, I use the table stretch to warm up for German hang first. And like I said above, if you are so inflexible that your German hang resembles more of a back lever then yes, it's hard on the elbows. The key is to extend the shoulders fully, and stay as vertical as possible.

 

Edit: I only decided to employ German hangs for two reasons: My progress on pe2<im had stopped completely, and I needed to improve passive ROM in order to be able to build strength in that ROM. Second, I already have a solid, pain free back lever, so I figured German hangs wouldn't harm me.

 

If in doubt, don't do German hangs.

Alessandro Mainente

oh yes now i remember PE2/IM2, for this probably can be a good warm up but i prefer something with less stress. for example you can begin from a standing position with the grip of PE2 behind the back then with straight legs bend forward your upper body, when all the body is into pike position let to the arms to "fall" on the head side. as you use more weight as the stretch increase. don't worry about the difficulty to lift the weight, the leaning into the pike makes it more easy.

Ravn
alex87 said:

oh yes now i remember PE2/IM2, for this probably can be a good warm up but i prefer something with less stress. for example you can begin from a standing position with the grip of PE2 behind the back then with straight legs bend forward your upper body, when all the body is into pike position let to the arms to "fall" on the head side. as you use more weight as the stretch increase. don't worry about the difficulty to lift the weight, the leaning into the pike makes it more easy.

Ah, yes, had forgotten about those, that's a pretty good idea. I actually like to swap stretches once in a while, sometimes seems like the CNS at a certain point stops responding to a particular stretch.

Sven Ravnstag

What about additional volume with the current IM and those one has already mastered?  I'm doing HS1 three times/week and Foundation 5 times; would it be useful to add in a little extra HS mobility on the HS off/Foundation days?  

 

My intuition says that the more the better with these moves, but my intuition isn't an expert on this topic!