This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Training with a member of the National Team

Started by Christian, August 24, 2013 · 10 Replies · 122 Views

Christian

So a little back story:

 

My girlfriend has gotten a job as associate professor at a University in charge of sports. :-) This is in another city from where we used to live so we are in a moving process.

Here they have a gymnastics program and some of the national team members train here. Since gymnastics is not very big here in Norway, you can get involved by showing interest and willingness to contribute (having some experience is needed of course) So since I used to be a little involved with teaching recreational levels before and know one of the guys in board here of course they want me to help again.

 

So I will be teaching gymnastics again (lower levels, kids). Very excited and looking forward to this. Of course I want to do a good job, one of the things I notice here is a lack of focus on strength and physical development. Strength is aquired through skill work. This of course leads to high levels of injury and few people going all the way. Armed with Foundation and seminar knowledge I hope to change this a bit with the kids I will train.

 

Anyways today I went to the gym and got to train with a member of the national team. It was quite fun. Of course while I was doing my crappy backflips, he was doing double fronts, and I was doing ring strength 3 stuff he was trying his maltese (one of the very few here who can almost do it). But I had fun and will be included more in this :-)

 

One thing that really made my heart stop was that in this gymnastic facility there are NO ROPES!!!

I think I see my first order of business.

 

Also if anyone has any input/links/ideas, feel free to share.

Coach Sommer

Christian,

 

I will be in London in January and again in June.  There is also the possibility of seminars in Sweden and Norway.

 

If you would like, I would be happy to give a technical gymnastics clinic at your facility while I am in the area free of charge.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Christian
Coach Sommer said:

Christian,

 

I will be in London in January and again in June.  There is also the possibility of seminars in Sweden and Norway.

 

If you would like, I would be happy to give a technical gymnastics clinic at your facility while I am in the area free of charge.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

WOW, Coach speechless here. This is amazingly generous.

 

I am already signed up for the London one in January :) . And will talk to the board here about your offer. It would be amazing to organize that.

LateStarter@46

Coach Sommer is indeed a very generous person - I know from my own experience. 

Alessandro Mainente

In my gym i am the only one who actually is using the rope. there are other 6-7 men of the competitive team and no one of them is actually using the RC as conditioning for the joints of for other purpose.

Christian

That's very interresting Alex, any reasons for this?

Alessandro Mainente

I don't really know why they don't use it, generally i don't like their conditioning program. it's very far from what i see in the technical federation center in Milan or in the gym of Matteo in Meda (that is near Milan).

Christian

Is that where we're training in September?? :D

Alessandro Mainente

Yes there is a chance to be in Meda for september in agreement with Matteo's schedule for competition. For now are scheduled the Belgium world championship between 30 sept - 6 october. Due to that actually i'm not sure about the facility, probably Matteo will compete as he has a medal from the European.

Alessandro Mainente

HI chris, Matteo told to me yesterday by email that he will represent Italy on the World Championship in Blegium on the fall of this month. So unfortunately he won't be in Milan in that period!

Christian

Nooooooooo :unsure:

 

But I get to hang with you :D 

 

I'm arriving late on the 26th, I'll facebook you about it soon. Been training a bit at a gymnastic facility so have my back/front flip/handspring back!