King of the Forum: Who Can Take Down Nigel?

Started by Cory Fair, August 23, 2013 · 218 Replies · 56,992 Views

Guest

Interesting observation made by me yesterday, and a few weeks ago that I haven't shared with you guys. I had a few friends over to work on a project, and while they were here, noticed my broomstick with weights on it. They asked me what it was for, so I showed them with a pretty narrow grip (SW + hand on each side) and 10 lbs. I suggested they try it just to see if they could. I suggested the widest grip and to externally rotate your shoulders (just showed them). They went about 112 cm between their hands and still couldn't do it with straight arms (keep in mind this is an unweighted bar).

 

I would have thought that these teenagers who play sports and are somewhat healthy diet and exercise wise couldn't do this. Like Ido Portal says, if you don't use it, you'll lose it. It is sad to me to see that kids nowadays, no matter how close they are to gymnastics, can't do a dislocate that is extremely wide. Adults I can understand, but not adolescents. Just something to keep in mind. Keep training hard.

Nigel

Samira's second entry 3.4kg at about 70cm.

 

Nigel

My second entry, up to 7.9kg or 17lb 6oz. 13% of my bodyweight. 100cm separation.

 

Nigel

Here's anyone and everyone who has mentioned a number, although not all are entries. Another 1kg will put me in 5th, but it's amazing how much difference 1kg makes. It's like the brakes go on at that sticking point. Still, better than I expected to be doing for this challenge.

 

Anto 12.5
Jon Douglas 11.5
Alex87 10.8
Frits 10
Niklas03 8.5
Matts Trane 8.07
Nigel 7.9
Finnbar 7.5
Aadil 7
Christian 6.5
Ravn 5
Latestarter 5
User 4.5
KeilaniG 4.5
Awareness 4.5
Samira 3.4
Mark Collins 2.5
Adrienl 0.5

Cory Fair

We'll do some new rankings fairly soon. In the meantime, I'd like to see some additional entries from more of you! :)

Jon Douglas
Cory Fair said:

We'll do some new rankings fairly soon. In the meantime, I'd like to see some additional entries from more of you! :)

Bah, I *really* need to source some more weights! >.<

Keilani Gutierrez
Jon Douglas said:

Bah, I *really* need to source some more weights! >.<

I really need to not bite off more than I can chew. 

 

second submission so far: 31inch grip, 13lb's in weight. (tried to get it all in the shot, isn't clear in the tape measurer for example)

 

Keilani Gutierrez
Jon Douglas said:

13kg, 28.5lb

2x4kg db

2x2kg ankle weights (blue)

1x1kg ankle weight (grey)

 

 

Can do narrower, maybe heavier. Will keep going...

yeah, i stopped using my dumbbell because the COG always made the return part so much weirder feeling than when it has a weight plate. 

 

that weight is rad tho! how did it feel?

Jon Douglas

13kg, 28.5lb

2x4kg db + 2x2kg ankle weights (blue) + 1x1kg ankle weight (grey)

 

 

Better, narrower but with a bit more lean on the 2nd half of the rep-->

Jon Douglas
KeilaniG said:

yeah, i stopped using my dumbbell because the COG always made the return part so much weirder feeling than when it has a weight plate. 

 

that weight is rad tho! how did it feel?

Sorry, deleted my previous post because I improved it :)

The weight is fine, easy on the way back, but coming up from a dead stop at the back is hard. This'll be good supplemental work for manna methinks.

Think with that form though, 13 is about as high as I can go right now. I want to do 14, but it's not likely to be near narrow enough

Keilani Gutierrez
Jon Douglas said:

Sorry, deleted my previous post because I improved it :)

The weight is fine, easy on the way back, but coming up from a dead stop at the back is hard. This'll be good supplemental work for manna methinks

lol dat face

FritsMB

Second entry. Twelve kg (and a bit; or about 16% of my body weight). With better form. Distance between hands still 105 cm. The angle between my forearm and dowel (with everything above my head) is less than 45 degrees.  


 


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuUggAx-J-I

LateStarter@46

That's just impressive :o  and also hilarious!  :)

Jon Douglas
FritsMB said:

Second entry. Twelve kg (and a bit; or about 16% of my body weight). With better form. Distance between hands still 105 cm. The angle between my forearm and dowel (with everything above my head) is less than 45 degrees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuUggAx-J-I

I see we are both digging deep into the same place-- our creativity! :)

Guest

3rd entry at 15 lbs (6.8kg) with 65 centimeters between my hands. Did a few sets of 10 lbs beforehand as well. Flexibility is increasing!!

 

Mats Trane
FritsMB said:

Second entry. Twelve kg (and a bit; or about 16% of my body weight). With better form. Distance between hands still 105 cm. The angle between my forearm and dowel (with everything above my head) is less than 45 degrees.  

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuUggAx-J-I

Nice and smooth!

Christian

 

10 kg bar. Don't know distance, will try to measure the bar next time. I held at the mark on the bar.

 

Quite easy, but tried 12,5 kg and didn't make it up back from behind. Should get it with some training.

Jon Douglas
Christian said:

10 kg bar. Don't know distance, will try to measure the bar next time. I held at the mark on the bar.

Quite easy, but tried 12,5 kg and didn't make it up back from behind. Should get it with some training.

Nice!

Same thing happened when I tried with 14. Im determined to break that thirty pound barrier :)

MvdB

Great stuff, all of you! I guess I will have to give these a go as well. Awarenesss, looks like we have the same amount of elbow hyperextension  :)

Christian
Jon Douglas said:

Nice!

Same thing happened when I tried with 14. Im determined to break that thirty pound barrier :)

And so 15 kg became my new goal :P:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Jon Douglas
Christian said:

And so 15 kg became my new goal :P:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Oh, I see how it is! Determined to stop an Australian placing, is it?!

Flagrant discrimination on this board >.<

drvosjeca

hey guys...

 

Im new to this forum and i have runed upon this thred just few minutes ago. Since i like challanges and would love to participate in this one i was wondering one thing: How do you guys measure your shoulder width?

 

I would love to know from where to where shoulders should be measured so i know it in future and i can have complete overview over my progress.

 

thanks

Jon Douglas
drvosjeca said:

hey guys...

 

Im new to this forum and i have runed upon this thred just few minutes ago. Since i like challanges and would love to participate in this one i was wondering one thing: How do you guys measure your shoulder width?

 

I would love to know from where to where shoulders should be measured so i know it in future and i can have complete overview over my progress.

 

thanks

Welcome to the forum :)

Cory specified in the first post that heaviest would win; in the event of a tie (same weight) the narrowest would win.

The recommendation is to begin with a light weight at a wide grip, work it to near shoulder-width, then increase the weight slightly and start over with as wide a grip as necessary. Personally I don't think measuring with a tape or ruler is necessary, I base my own training on proportion of shoulder width, but others disagree :)

drvosjeca

Thanks for your reply Jon...

 

I suport you on proportion part because we are not all built the same way and for some same width might be narow, yet for others same thing might be wide. Im 184 cm high and my weight is 94 kg.

 

What i would just like to know is how you measure shoulder width (what are the points i should measure from-to)?

Keilani Gutierrez
drvosjeca said:

Thanks for your reply Jon...

I suport you on proportion part because we are not all built the same way and for some same width might be narow, yet for others same thing might be wide. Im 184 cm high and my weight is 94 kg.

What i would just like to know is how you measure shoulder width (what are the points i should measure from-to)?

it's the distance between your hands if they are hanging at your sides, right underneath your shoulders. :)