FL pull-ups/Weighted pull-ups question

Started by Martynas MorkÅ«nas, August 22, 2013 · 11 Replies · 9,991 Views

Martynas Morkūnas

Hello fellas,

 

I was wondering if tuck/adv. tuck front lever pull ups can totally replace weighted pull-ups(with a vest or belt).

What kind of benefits doing fl pull ups insted of weighted can bring me? Will they help me getting my OAC/OAP and building maximum strength?

 

I'm currently training FL, OAP/OAC, PL.

 

My maxes are adv. tuck front lever 10-15 sec
Tuck planche ~20sec

Full back lever 15-20 seconds , but no way I can pull myself up with one arm...

 

By the way, shoud I train only one static hold at the moment or I can do all the progressions throughout the week?

Jake Lawrance

I'll answer the fl pull up and one arm chin up question! 

 

Fl pull ups will lead to more Fl pullups and weighted pull ups will lead to heavier pull ups. 

 

If you want the one arm pull up you'll have to focus on it primarily or do a heck load of rope climbs and advance at that. Either way, I'm sure working through foundation series will get you there.  :)

Kai.L

FL pullups does give u a heap of pulling strength

aiken54

But keep in mind that you are pulling horizontally, and not vertically. It's important to have a balance of horizontal and vertical pulling - to keep your shoulders healthy - especially when training for the OAC/OAP and FL Pullups.

Jake Lawrance

I repeat Aiken, Front lever pulls work the horizontal plane. Although they produce huge pulling strength, it'd have a very little carry over to the one arm pull up  :)

Martynas Morkūnas

By the way, is it okay to do both front lever and oap work in one training session?

B1214N
Jake Lawrance said:

I repeat Aiken, Front lever pulls work the horizontal plane. Although they produce huge pulling strength, it'd have a very little carry over to the one arm pull up  :)

It's different for everyone. I got OAP and OAC just from doing straight arm FL work and very little bent arm pulling. Mind you that I also had very strong elbow flexors before doing GST so that must have helped in the curling portion of the OAC that some people might have struggled on.

P5yx
aiken54 said:

But keep in mind that you are pulling horizontally, and not vertically. It's important to have a balance of horizontal and vertical pulling - to keep your shoulders healthy - especially when training for the OAC/OAP and FL Pullups.

Wrong. FL Pullups are multiplane movements. So they have a horizontal as well as a vertical pulling component.

The correct term for the move you are talking about are FL rows.

Coach Sommer
P5yx said:

Wrong. FL Pullups are multiplane movements. So they have a horizontal as well as a vertical pulling component.

The correct term for the move you are talking about are FL rows.

 

... the correct term for what you are describing is FL Pulls; not FL Pullups.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

P5yx
Coach Sommer said:

... the correct term for what you are describing is FL Pulls; not FL Pullups.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thought they would be the same. Thx for clearification. Nevertheless i think the threadstarter is talking about FL rows.

Martynas Morkūnas

For me there's no difference, is it pulls, pull-ups or rows. I think meaning is the same. By the way, how long should I hold a static position in my workout? For example I do 4x8 Tuck FL pulls, after that 4x max adv. tuck FL holds and then 4x dynamic. So 12 sets for FL in total, 2 times a week.

P5yx
Martynas Morkūnas said:

For me there's no difference, is it pulls, pull-ups or rows. I think meaning is the same. By the way, how long should I hold a static position in my workout? For example I do 4x8 Tuck FL pulls, after that 4x max adv. tuck FL holds and then 4x dynamic. So 12 sets for FL in total, 2 times a week.

no it is not the same this are FL Pulls:

 

and those are FL Rows:

 

and here josh is explaining the difference between fron lever pulls and front pulls: